The Free Motion Quilting Project: Day 1 - Shadow Waves

Friday, August 14, 2009

Day 1 - Shadow Waves

So kicking off with Day 1 of our 365 days of free motion, continuous line quilting designs.

This filler design is called Shadow Waves. This is going to be a design you want to put in a relatively small space because it's created by stitching from edge to edge.

free motion quilting | Leah Day



http://www.leahday.com/project0paisley/Inspiration - Gradient of rocks in photos of the Grand Canyon.

Difficulty Level - Beginner. It's not very time consuming to stitch back and forth across a space. The biggest challenge is keeping your stitching even and consistent.

Design Family - Edge to Edge.

Directional Texture - 2 directions or more. Depending on how wavy your line is to start with, your directional texture will change. An extremely wavy line will produce more texture than a less wavy line.

Suggestions for Use - Hmm...I think this would look great in landscape quilts for the ground. It could also be used in skinny sashing (2 1/2" or less) between blocks to add movement without a lot of fuss.

Shadow Waves Back
free motion quilting | Leah DayFeel free to use this free motion filler designs in your quilts,
and make sure to tell your friends where you learned it.

Click here to support the project by visiting our online quilt shop

Let's go Quilt!

Leah Day

13 comments:

  1. I just found your blog and look forward to catching up and trying a few new patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent Kim! This is definitely the place to get new inspiration and designs for beautiful quilts.

    Enjoy!

    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am an art quilter and am always looking for quilting designs for the borders of my art quilts.

    This series is wonderful and I thank you so much for going to all this trouble. I have put the link on my blog. Shirley Paterson, Calgary, Canada

    http://shirl-oneofakindfiberarts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. good luck with 365 though. I'm working on a sampler and have been stumped to come up with quilting ideas... so I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your blog, and I love it! Great work! I'm going to use the Shadow Waves on the baby quilt I'm making for my new grandson. Looking forward to learning more from you. I've linked to you from my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found your blog through a link another quilter posted on a forum. Love the shadow waves as they remind me of topography lines on our property map...hills and dales. Bookmarked your blog as you make this look so easy and the videos are very clear :)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Someone in my yahoo group called Quiltville turned us on to your blog recently. I am SOOOOO excited to find it. I am a new quilter using a HQ16 sit down machine and trying to learn on my own. Now I feel like I have a tutor. Thank you so much for this project

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, thank you for sharing all of this. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wanted to start with Free Motion Quilting and I didn't know how. Your tutorial is great!
    Thank you so much, it's going to help me a lot.

    Greetings from Spain

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ditto to all of the positive comments. I, too, am new to free motion machine quilting and your tutorials are fantastic. Mahalo from Hawaii. Aloha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have discovered a goldmine! Who knew that free motion quilting could be so creative and beautiful? What a treasure of fun learning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bonnie Hunter just posted this site on FB and I will be back a lot. Such variety.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love to free motion quilt, but run out of ideas for different designs, so I was delighted to find this site. How big do you make your sample squares?
    You are so generous to share this with everyone.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails