The Free Motion Quilting Project: Day 19 - Checkerboard

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Day 19 - Checkerboard

YAY! Day 19 is here, it's September 1st and my son starts back to preschool!

I'm extremely excited because as wonderful as the summertime is, I really like schedules, organization, and the simple joy of being busy.

Speaking of busy, I've got a new free motion design for you today called Checkerboard:

quilting | free motion quilting
Yes, I know it looks like I cheated on the rules and marked the starting lines, but I didn't. Seriously. Watch the video and see:

I was pondering Circuit Board and wondering if I stuck with the same idea: straight, intersecting lines, but what would happen if I put the whole thing on a grid?

Thus Checkerboard was born!

Difficulty Level: Intermediate. Getting the lines right to start can be tricky, but otherwise this is a fairly easy piece to fill.

Design Family - Edge to Edge.

Directional Texture: This is a very attention getting design, so although I don't think it has full directional texture, we're going to have to call it something different, maybe "Attention Getting"?

Suggestions for Use: The lines draw your eye, so you'll want to put this design where you don't mind a little distraction. So placing it behind a very complicated applique block would be a bad idea. Maybe in the sashing or over simple, pieced blocks like 9 patches.

Back of CheckerBoardFeel free to use this free motion filler designs in your quilts,
and send in a picture to show it off.

Click here to support the project by visiting our online quilt shop.

Happy Quilting!

Leah Day


  1. I LOVE this design. I should really try it out on one of my quilt tops. I've got a great Katie Pasquini Masopust fabric in my stash that is similar except that the lines are more curvy.

  2. I just found your site through Laura's site and I am so impressed! I just added you to my blog roll so I'll be back.


Related Posts with Thumbnails