The Free Motion Quilting Project: Day 38 - Flame Stitch

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Day 38 - Flame Stitch

This design is also featured in the ebook From Daisy to Paisley along with many other free motion designs from this project! Click here to learn more about our Beginner Free Motion Quilting Fillers DVD.

Ugh, today is day 38 and I have a wretched snotty nose thanks to my germ ridden 2 year old.

I knew from the beginning that a rainy day like this might come after the honeymoon phase was over. That's why I saved an easy, tried and true stitch just for today: Flame Stitch:

free motion quilting | Leah Day
free motion quilting | Leah Day

Click Here if the Video Does Not Appear

free motion quilting | Leah DayThis was actually the very first filler variation I ever created way back when I was quilting Release Your Light. It could be argued that this design is responsible for this project of insanity.

Inspiration - Release Your Light is 77 inches square and by the time I got to the sun ray border I was so sick of MicroStippling and McTavishing I was ready to sell my soul to stitch anything else.

A friend mentioned the possibility of a variation of Paisley and drew it for me. I looked at the drawing and at first thought "Is this allowed?" Like I was somehow breaking the rules by creating variations of existing stitches!

free motion quilting | Leah DayAfter my initial shock wore off (and 50 hours stitching those rays) I began to see that the slightest change in a stitch can create a whole new texture. Here's a close up photo of one ray before Shiva Painstiks threw up on it:

So when I'm in the mood to blame the launch of this project on anything or anyone, I can always look to Flame Stitch to take the brunt of my anger.

(Note: this is all my snotty nose talking. I love this project. I love this project. I love this project...)

Difficulty Level - Beginner. If you can Paisley, you can flame stitch. The only difference is changing the curves for nice long pointy flames.

Design Family - Echoing.

Directional Texture - 2 directions. This is one of those designs that you will start along one edge and then work your way in rows to the opposite edge.

Suggestions for Use - Got a sunshine, sunflower, or fire quilt needing a good free motion design? Here's your perfect stitch!

Back of Flame Stitchfree motion quilting | Leah DayFeel free to use this free motion filler designs in your quilts,

Let's go Quilt!

Leah Day


  1. Thank you so much for this blog. I can only quilt in the ditch and basic straight lines and want to try free motion. I am watching all your videos and psyching myself up for trying something new.thanks again for the inspiration.

  2. I can't tell you how much I love your blog! I love that you include a video and everything. I'm feeling more brave about trying something other than loops and stippling. Thanks!

  3. What a neat blog you have. I have added it to my bloglist and maybe with your blog I can learn to do free motion.

  4. I just received your newsletter and I want to thank you for putting my blog on your list of
    favorite blogs in the letter. I have had some comments and interest in joining my group.

    I love your 365 days and plan on picking one to
    border the sunset wall hanging I am currently finishing. Thanks again - Shirley

    One of a kind fiber arts


Related Posts with Thumbnails