The Free Motion Quilting Project: Day of Firsts

Friday, September 4, 2009

Day of Firsts

Today is an awesome day of Firsts for the Free Motion Quilting project!

We've gotten our first video response!

I've just finished my first project using 3 quilting designs created during the project.

And I sold my first copy of How to Piece Perfect Quilts! YAY!

When things happen for the first time, you can't help but feel terrific about it. Jo and many other quilters have written in to let me know how much this free motion project has helped their quilting, but something about seeing a person on video, it's really powerful!

So here's Jo's video response:



Jo also emailed me photos of her recent quilt and some of the issues she's struggling with as a beginning free motion quilter. There are some definite ways to make free motion quilting easier for you if you've never done it before, and I'll share these tips in a great article here.

quilted jacketNext, let's check out my very first quilting project completed since starting 365 days of free motion.

Admittedly I'm scaling back on my personal projects so I can devote more than enough time on shooting these free motion videos and pictures.

Instead of getting in over my head with another 77 inch monster quilt, I'm trying to keep my projects smaller and quicker to finish.

This is great because there are a million little projects I've been wanting to work on, but haven't gotten around to.

One thing I've wanted to try for years has been to make a quilted jacket. This jacket was created using the kimono jacket pattern from Simplicity 5345. You can read more about the construction and design process here.

Finally, I have just sold my first copy of How to Piece Perfect Quilts! This full color online guide book and video series teaches you everything you need to know about preparing your fabric, cutting it into pieces and sewing them back together.

While this blog is not about piecing quilts, I thought I'd share because piecing accurately is definitely a necessary step in the quilting process. If you're struggling to match seams properly, attach borders, or square your quilt accurately, you might want to check out this online guidebook and video series here.

Happy Quilting!

Leah

4 comments:

  1. I just discovered this blog. What a wonderful thing you're doing! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool! Hurray for a great day for you! I have a Bernina, too, and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tee hee! I was so embarrassed to show Leah my rudimentary stitches, but hey, you gotta start somewhere, and I can't believe how far I've come in even a few days. I think I need to pick a few patterns I really like and practice those over and over... maybe on scraps would be a good idea. HA! So far, my favourites are flowing glass and matrix. I tried MacTavishing just now and I like it, but will definitely need to practice!

    These videos are such amazing inspiration, because it really does show you the sky is the limit and fear is honestly the only thing standing in the way for most of us. I brought it to work, and even though I thought it looked junky, people were marvelling at it. So you are always better than you think you are. Thanks again, Leah, for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent Jo! You're such a wonderful person for taking the time to respond with a video. It really meant so much to me to see you in person!

    Just practice! Make up a fat quarter sized quilt sandwich and give yourself permission to play.

    Relax and enjoy the movement of the quilting stitches. It will get easier the longer you do it!

    Happy Quilting,

    Leah

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails