The Free Motion Quilting Project: How to Piece Perfect Quilts

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

How to Piece Perfect Quilts

Once upon a time I was a beginning quilter who knew nothing about piecing properly, was intimidated by quilting, and yes, once committed every mistake in the book with my first quilt.

It's not easy to learn all the rules for piecing AND quilting all at the same time, but every day new quilters start this hobby and begin the process of learning how to prewash fabric, cut pieces, and stitch with a 1/4" foot in order to make their first quilt top.

I can remember piecing the 9 patch blocks for my first quilt. It was always a guessing game if my seams would match up or not!

I would stitch the seams with my fingers crossed, hoping against hope that all the seams would match, but they very rarely did.

It took years of practice, and lots of seam ripping, before I learned how to piece blocks perfectly and just like I love sharing about quilting, I'd like to share this information about piecing with you as well.

This week I'm putting my Digital Quilting Guidebook - Stitch it Up a Notch: How to Piece Perfect Quilts on sale for only $9.99. Click here to read more about it.

This ebook can be instantly downloaded to your computer and comes packed with over 200 photos and 2 hours of video that will teach you every aspect of machine piecing.

Here's a sample video on how to piece Half Square Triangles:

Piecing is still the most popular way to create a quilt top. According to all the quilters who responded to my question last week, more than 80% love pieced quilts more than applique, mixed techniques, art quilts, or wholecloth.

If you're struggling to match seams or wish to learn more about piecing triangles or curves, please click here to check out Stitch it Up a Notch: How to Piece Perfect Quilts.

Let's go quilt (or piece)!

Leah Day


  1. Nice tutorial. Can you share insight on the black fabric that was shown in this video before you started stitching the half square triangle? Is this a trick you always do to help stitch the half square triangle?


  2. Hi Sew Cal Gal - The black fabric is called a scrap charger. I always start and end every piecing line by sewing through the scrap because it keeps your presser foot from squishing the small pieces to one side or the other.

    It also works really well to absorb any thread nests that happen when you first start stitching.

    I fully explain the scrap charger in the guidebook and once you try it, you'll be hooked too!


    Leah Day


Related Posts with Thumbnails