The Free Motion Quilting Project: How to Quilt a Log Cabin Quilt - Part 3

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

How to Quilt a Log Cabin Quilt - Part 3

free motion quilting | Leah DayI was planning on launching a new series of designs today, but uploading and editing was just taking too long so I decided to post another design for Meredith's Log Cabin Quilt:

So far we've had two possible quilting designs, both with the same center pattern, but with different borders. See Part 1 and Part 2 for those photos.

Here's another possible border design for this quilt using the same center design:

free motion quilting | Leah DayWhat's the main difference with this design?

The center is completely the same, but changing the lines to run along the border, boxing in the center pieced portion draws more attention to it.

The lines act like a bulls eye pulling your eyes inward. Unlike the first design where the quilting was so complex your eyes didn't know quite where to go, this design forces you to see straight into the center square.

I've never been formally educated in art, but I do know that you want the viewer's eye to move around the piece, taking it all in.

I like this design very much because it emphasizes the piecing without overwhelming it. If you're going to bother to piece all those strips together, you might as well get the credit for it!

Again this design will work great on a bed quilt for a quick finish.

Let's go quilt!

Leah Day


  1. Very nice. I do like how the eye is drawn into it.

  2. I love to do that with my borders. Once you have done a design in the center it is so fun to just run that quilt through the machine doing those nice straight lines and yes, I agree, it does draw your eye to the center.
    That quilt is beautiful, looks like a stained glass window.

  3. I love your creations and ideas. I am a beginner with free motion, and your blog helps me a lot. Thanks! Mabel.

  4. Yep, I like this one the best.

  5. Very nice!I love your creations and ideas.Thanks!


Related Posts with Thumbnails