The Free Motion Quilting Project: Day 196 - Bubble Path Spiral

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Day 196 - Bubble Path Spiral

It's Totally Filler Tuesday and I'm playing with circles again today. Remember Bubble Path? Let's see what happens when you put Bubble Path into a spiral!

free motion quilting | Leah Day
I'm posting super early today because at 9 am I'm running across town to get photos taken of the finished beginner filler quilt. It's finally done after 3 days of frantic hand binding!

With the photos taken, the Beginner Free Motion Quilting Fillers DVD will just need a few tweaks and then it will be finished!

I can't tell you how relieved I am because I'm SO ready to get back to Shadow Self. I'm glad I was able to take this break, but she now officially has a deadline and must be finished by the end of July!

Now let's get back to Bubble Path Spiral and learn how to quilt this funky design:


Inspiration - With most designs, I always ask myself "Would this look good as a spiral? What if the straight lines became wiggly? What if the wiggly lines became straight?"

Coming up with these new designs really just comes from a willingness to ask questions AND actually answer the question by trying it out. So Bubble Path stitched into a circle became a Bubble Path Spiral!

Difficulty Level - Intermediate. This is a challenging design, but you can make it much easier for yourself by marking the spiral shape on your quilt before starting the circles.

Design Family - Foundational. This is a foundational design worked from the center of your quilting space to the outside.

I think this design will work best in the open, uncomplicated areas of your quilt where you have more than enough room to maneuver the design.

Directional Texture - Center focused. This design pulls you into the center spiral design. Definitely use it where you want to draw the viewer's eye!

Suggestions for Use - Designs like this look amazing when stitched on a very plain, boring area of your quilt. Sashing cornerstones and border corners come to mind!

Back of Bubble Path Spiral
free motion quilting | Leah DayFeel free to use this free motion filler designs in your quilts,
Let's go Quilt!

Leah Day

5 comments:

  1. I think this design has to be one of my favorite designs that you've done. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the coolest most original motifs yet! I don't know how you do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leah - you're famous! I caught a glimpse of you in the new Quilting Arts eMagazine preview, so of course I am going to have to buy it! For all you Leah fans, look here: http://store.quiltingdaily.com/Quilting/eMags/In-Stitches-PC.html?a=qe100629#preview

    Justine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great design - I will be looking for a place to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know this post is a little old, but I just wanted to let you know that I'd link to it.
    This is such a great quilt and an fun technique once you get into it!
    You can see my blog post here:
    http://thehouseofwilson.blogspot.com/2011/03/bubble-bubble-toil-and-trouble.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails