The Free Motion Quilting Project: Steam-A-Seam 2 Lite

Friday, July 30, 2010

Steam-A-Seam 2 Lite

It's Feature Friday today and I'd like to share some photos from a neat little project I'm putting together today:

free motion quilting | Leah Day
This is a 4 block sampler quilt I created to showcase many different forms of free motion quilting. I think I'm going to create 4 of these simple quilts and quilt each one a slightly different way. Kind of like the book "Quilting Makes the Quilt" only with very dark fabrics!

I've been needing more samples for classes and guess where the videos will go???

But before I run off spoiling all the surprises I'm planning for the 1 year celebration sale, lets talk about the applique flowers within each block of this sampler quilt:

free motion quilting | Leah Day
These heart flowers look so cute in each block. You might be thinking they took a long time to cut out, but you're wrong! These are all shapes cut from different dies from the Accu Quilt Go! fabric cutter.

All of the shapes are being secured to the blocks with Steam-a-Seam 2 lite. This lightweight fusible web lightly sticks to fabric, allowing me to place each piece and fiddle with the layout even when the quilt is up on my design wall.

Once all the pieces are placed, it's a very easy process of pressing them down with a hot iron, then turning on the steam and giving it a last blast before everything gets fused permanently in place.

I love Steam-a-Seam 2 Lite because it's one of the most lightweight AND easy to use fusible webbing available.

Here are the directions on how to use it:
  1. Trace appliqué design in reverse on one paper side (one side is designed to come away easier than the other. Trace on the side that stays on the fusible.
  2. Stick the sheet of steam-a-seam 2 lite to the wrong side of your material, pressing for 2-5 seconds with a hot, dry iron.
  3. Cut out fabric and fusible together along the traced line.
  4. Peel off the remaining paper and position the applique on your project.
  5. Press for 10-20 seconds with steam on the cotton setting. Increase fusing for lower heat. Reheat if necessary.
It's important to always follow the directions when using a fusible web. In this case steam heat is really necessary to get the proper bond between the glue and the fabric.

When fusing the flowers on my heart flower quilt, I first fused from the top, then flipped the whole quilt over and pressed it again from the back.

free motion quilting | Leah DayThis ensures all the shapes will stay perfectly in place while I machine applique them down.

Now I'm off to go add the borders and start appliqueing these pretty flowers! If you'd like to learn more about Steam a Seam 2 Lite, please click here for more information.

Let's go quilt!

Leah Day


  1. Leah,

    Do you ever have problems when trying to free motion quilt through SaS2? I've recently had a problem with a project that I thought would go fine with this great fusible web.

    I tried every needle I owned. I was using aurifil thread on my PQ1500 which I have used with great results for years.

    I finally got it to work with only limited breakage and no dropped stitches after buying some special blue-tipped Janome needle at my local sewing machine dealer.


  2. I also prefer the SaS2 Lite, rather than the original. I found it doesn't clog up my needles so much when doing hand embroidery. Will be trying it on the machine soon for machine applique...

  3. Have you tried Misty Fuse? It is a light fusible that you can sew through with ease even with many layers. I love it!

  4. Yes! I am also having a lot of trouble quilting through this web. My machine is really unhappy. Skipping stitches and sounding awful! Any suggestions?


Related Posts with Thumbnails