The Free Motion Quilting Project: Section Quilting Part 3

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Section Quilting Part 3

I know, I know, I've been terrible this weekend! I got sucked into a quilting room clean up and reorganize which spawned into a full studio renovation. Ugh! Of all the things I hate to do on a weekend, priming and painting is on the top of my list!

But last week I promised to post Part 3 of videos from the Section Quilting part from the How Do I Quilt This?! video series, so let's learn how to section quilt the Sashing of a quilt.

I talk a lot about sashing because this is a common blank area in most quilts. Usually a quilt with sashing has some Stitching in the Ditch, but no actual fillers used in the sashing areas.

This is a real shame because there are many, many designs that will work wonderfully in these areas. Edge to Center and Edge to Edge designs work particularly good because the are easy to line up across the skinny lines of sashing.

So let's learn a little about the Filler Design Theory of you sashing sections:

I choose to use Spiral Chain in the inner sashing of my Circles of Daisies Quilt:

free motion quilting | Leah Day

I also used Modern Art to fill the outer sashing section:

free motion quilting | Leah Day

Watch how to fill your sashing with Spiral Chain and Modern Art and how to estimate your space so the spirals work out perfectly each time!

After two solid days of cleaning, organizing fabric and painting the walls of my sewing room, I'm beat! I'll add a few more tips on section quilting your sashing later this week!

Let's go Quilt!

Leah Day

1 comment:

  1. This is really helpful, with designs that truly work in sashing. Thanks.


Related Posts with Thumbnails