The Free Motion Quilting Project: Day 220 - Bow Tie Parade

Monday, October 11, 2010

Day 220 - Bow Tie Parade

It's Josh here again filling in for Leah while she's off playing in quilter's heaven in her newly redesigned studio.

So here's the design we're going to learn about today:

free motion quilting | Leah DayThis is called Bow Tie Parade because the shapes look like bow ties. Let's learn how Leah quilted it:

Inspiration - This morning Leah told me this design was inspired by a traditional Bow Tie Block. Not quite sure what that is, but if you've made one, feel free to post a picture so I actually know what I'm talking about.

While I've never worn a bow tie, I do know someone that does - the new Dr. Who! Leah and I are both big fans of the new Dr. Who series and thoroughly enjoyed watching the latest season online.

Difficulty Level - Intermediate. Apparently this design is created exactly like forming the letter "8" only with straight lines and sharp angles. The hardest part is moving around the quilting space from one sharp 8 shape to another.

Design Family - Stacking. The shapes all stack together to fill your quilt. Looking at the photo of the block Leah stitched I think you'll have to wiggle in some small shapes, so maybe this design will work better when you quilt it really big.

Directional Texture - No Direction. I guess this would make a good background design when you need the design to recede into the background.

Suggestions for Use - I asked Leah what she would do with it this morning and she said it would work great on a kid quilt with lots of curving shapes. Something about contrasting shapes with textures?

Back of Bow Tie Parade
free motion quilting | Leah DayFeel free to use this free motion quilting design in your quilts

Let's go Eat!

Josh Day

1 comment:

  1. Hats off to you Josh for giving Leah a well earned rest but keeping the blog going. I for one look forward to logging on each day.

    I love the quilts obviously but having discovered your love of food do you have a recipe for dirty rice? When we visit the southern states from the UK it is one dish I always try to find. A genuine home brewed version would be much appreciated. Keep up the good works. Pauline


Related Posts with Thumbnails