The Free Motion Quilting Project: Day 224 - Cobwebs in the Corners

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Day 224 - Cobwebs in the Corners

So what do you get when you take Water Plants and add some curving lines? Cobwebs in the Corners! Since Halloween is coming up, this will make the perfect base for getting Cobwebs in our Sashing!

free motion quilting | Leah DayAgain, since this is a sashing design, it's a bit hard to tell how it works in a 4" block, so here's a 2" strip of sashing:

free motion quilting | Leah Day
My graphic design program doesn't allow me to make the curves easily, but you get the general idea!

The blue side would be quilted first. Start with wiggly or straight lines, then connect them together with a slightly curving line to create the spider web effect.

Now, I received a great question from Roberta yesterday about Water Plants and how it worked:
Love this design. looking forward to tomorrows. I have a hand appliqued fish quilt that needs finishing. Each block is a different blue with an orange fish on it(different shades and designs in the fish). A couple blocks with turtles. Doesn't need a lot of quilting in the blocks, but Water Plant will look fantastic in the sashing. I understand your sketch for the horizontal portion of the sashing. How would you place the motif in the verticle portion?
Thank you so much for sending in this question Roberta! It let me know that I hadn't been entirely clear on how to quilt it.

So here's an example of how to quilt either Water Plants OR Cobwebs in the Corners around a quilt in the outer sashing. The first step would be to quilt the inner set of designs:

free motion quilting | Leah Day
Now you could leave it just like that and it would look fine, or you could then go in and quilt the second set:

free motion quilting | Leah Day
And here's an example of how I would quilt it around multiple blocks in a grid layout:

free motion quilting | Leah Day
As you can see in this drawing, you may have to play with the sizing of your cobwebs in certain areas in order to keep them matching up properly

Does this make sense? Please let me know if ya'll have questions about this idea!

Okay, now that we know where to put these designs and how they work, let's learn how to quilt Cobwebs in the Corners:

Inspiration - I'm always trying to create more seasonal designs because we have so many seasonal quilt patterns! It's not always easy to create designs specifically for one time of the year, but I think by the end of the project we'll have a nice selection of seasonal designs.

Difficulty Level - Advanced. This design is tricky because there are so many steps and a good bit of travel stitching.

Spacing the designs evenly is also a bit difficult, but you can always mark registration lines for where each design should be placed. This will allow you to evenly space the cobwebs on both sides of the sashing.

Design Family - Edge to Center. These designs work great in the sashing of a quilt because you can work off the edges of the blocks and into the center. They can be fit into narrow spaces and still look terrific because the design is not intended to take up loads of space.

Directional Texture - 2 Directions. If you really interconnect your cobwebs, you might end up with more of a flat, directionless texture. Play with it and see what you like the best!

Suggestions for Use - Cobwebs in the Corners was inspired by a table runner idea I had back in August, but unfortunately never got around to creating. I wanted a decorative quilt that combined both Halloween and autumn themes:

free motion quilting | Leah Day
Feel free to make fun of my gimpy pumpkins. They're really kinda funny looking and I couldn't figure out how to color the insides. Oh well! You get the idea!

Maybe I should hire someone to help me create patterns of all the quilts I think of each month? I'd certainly like to see this one get made!

Back of Cobwebs in the Corners
free motion quilting | Leah Day
Feel free to use this free motion filler designs in your quilts,
and make sure to tell your friends where you learned it.

Click here to support the project by visiting our online quilt shop.

Let's go Quilt!

Leah Day


  1. I love the cobwebs!! Great idea!!!

  2. Great design. I'm just finishing up a small Halloween wall hanging. Wish I would have seen your cobwebs in the corners before I quilted it. Definitely want to use this one on my next Halloween project.

  3. Another fabulous design. I'm confident that snowflakes will soon be in order...

  4. Great question Roberta! And yes Leah, your explanation does make sense to me. Thank you! I have been wondering this myself but just hadn't gotten around to asking

  5. Good Lord you never cease to amaze - this is just a stunning post and when you've linked it back to the 'how to use' format in the post you've taken your blog up another level - bless you and well done.

  6. Thank you Leah for answering the question about placing designs all the way around the sashing. Your pictures were perfect. I immediately made little sketches in my quilting notebook for future reference. And I love the cobwebs. I have a small Autumn wall hanging quilt kit that I will whip up this weekend. Time to put the July 4th wall hanging away. The cobwebs will be a very nice finishing detail. And living in a log home with wooden beams in the ceiling, the cobwebs are a natural design in my house this time of year. Why remove them now? They are perfect Halloweeen decoration. That is my story and I am sticking to it.

  7. I am very very new to quilting and have been struggling with free-motion ideas. I just love your project - it is so inspiring. Can't wait to try your designs. Thank you. The cobwebs are fantastic.

  8. Absolutely fabulous, I simply can't wait to start practising this one, and then of course make a quilt to put it on. Keep up the good work.

  9. Thank you for thinking for me!! I have the hardest time coming up with the "how to" quilt on my quilts I love this newest design!!

  10. Thank you for the visual examples of ways to use the quilting designs. This is so helpful to a new quilter like myself.


Related Posts with Thumbnails