The Free Motion Quilting Project: Recipe Thursday: Spaghetti

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Recipe Thursday: Spaghetti

Welcome to our first official Recipe Thursday!

Josh here once again. Leah has finished packing the car and she's off to Greensboro for tonight and Saturday's workshops. She brought the laptop so expect a post from her tomorrow from the road!

Today's recipe is an American classic, a staple for almost any family. In the below video I call the recipe "Sicilian," which is dead wrong; this is a purely American dish, bastardized from Italian Bolognese sauce.

I cannot stress the importance of using fresh basil and fresh parsley (be sure to use Italian or flat leaf parsley, not the curly, decorative variety). The key to this sauce is its simplicity.

Spaghetti and Meat Sauce

1 pound Italian sausage, hot or mild
1/2 pound ground beef
1/3 cup fresh basil, roughly torn by hand (or 1/4 tsp dried)
1/3 cup fresh parsley, minced (or 1/4 tsp dried)
6-8 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup minced onion
2 cans Cento tomato sauce
2 Tbs olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Cooked pasta

Brown meat in pot. Drain grease and saute onion with meat until translucent. Push meat aside and add olive oil. When oil is hot cook garlic, not letting brown. Incorporate into meat and onions and pour in tomato sauce. Add basil and parsley and season with salt and pepper.

Cook for 1/2 to 1 hour. Serve with pasta of your choice.


Click here if video doesn't play

Thanks to everyone who commented yesterday with suggestions for improvements to the blog. There were so many wonderful suggestions. Leah and I really appreciate the input!

Next Thursday I'll be sharing our Thai fried rice recipe.

Josh

2 comments:

  1. I like your blog, is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh, my spaghetti sauce turned out great. I ended up getting Cento crushed tomatoes, I was limited on my choices. I had fresh basil from the garden. My only addition was a tsp of sugar to cut the acid of the tomatoes. I'm enjoying your recipes, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails