The Free Motion Quilting Project: Day 226 - Layered Flower

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Day 226 - Layered Flower

The weather is finally turning chilly here in NC and of course, this is right around the time I start looking for flowers for inspiration - and can't find any!

So here's a flower design I created that isn't really based on any real flowers in nature, but more from a desire to stitch triangle shapes:

free motion quilting | Leah Day
Today I'm waiting impatiently for UPS to arrive with my new order of books from Dover. Just in case you've never heard of Dover Publications, this is an awesome publisher that specializes in books and collections of designs.

The best thing about these books is most of them are permission-free, meaning you can use up to 10 designs from each book in your quilt or art piece and not worry if your breaking copyright law. Of course, some of the books are different, but they're clearly labeled and the copyright is clearly explained, which is really nice in this world of obscure writing and complex legal jargon.

It's really nice to have a collection of design books. You never know what you will find while flipping through. A small motif might catch your eye and serve as the inspiration point for an entire quilt!

Now let's get back to Layered Flower:


Difficulty Level - Intermediate. This really isn't very difficult, just simple triangles overlapping one another to create the flower shape. The one thing to watch out for is thread play and build up in the center of the flower. If it gets to thick, it might be tricky to stitch! 

Design Family - Center Fill. This really could be considered 2 different designs because it works from the center, but it's also created by overlapping shapes.

Directional Texture - Center Focused. Layered Flower does look pretty similar to Delilah, but it's actually easier to quilt because you don't have to travel stitch to fit in your petals. Just overlap the lines and play with making your triangles all different sizes and shapes!

Suggestions for Use - I like the idea of making an appliqued quilt, only instead of actually appliqueing the flowers, quilt them in instead!

Back of Layered Flower
free motion quilting | Leah DayFeel free to use this free motion filler designs in your quilts,
and make sure to tell your friends where you learned it.

Click here to support the project by visiting our online quilt shop.

Let's go Quilt!

Leah Day

4 comments:

  1. yes, I really like this one very much! I love flowers, my husband and I have a floral design show amoung other stuff. And I have seen a flowers like this.....you take a flat faced flower like a gerbera daisy or "dasy" mum, and cut the edge of the petals to form a square out of a circle. I just can't find a photo out there on the web at the moment to direct you to. Keep up the fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah,

    I love this one. I live in Nebraska and when you drive through the sandhills you see all the old windmills pumping water for the cattle. Layered flower reminds me of those windmills and a time fading away.
    Thanks,
    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a really pretty flower. It looks like a Bachelor Button to me :) It also could pass as a Mum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Leah, I've been enjoying your project since right near the beginning, and thought you might be interested in the quilt I've just finished. It's a wholecloth quilt made to resemble a pieced top, by marking blocks and using dense filler quilting in different colours to represent the pieces. I tried to use as many different designs as possible, and though I did repeat some, I used over 50. A lot were common designs, and some were my own, and a few were inspired by designs in your 365 days project. Funnily, I came up with a few very similar to yours before you shared them, after your project imspired me to try and come up with as many of my own fillers as I could! Here's a link to where I blogged about the quilt, with lots of photos: http://sampaguitaquilts.blogspot.com/2010/10/may.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails