The Free Motion Quilting Project: First Published Article!

Saturday, November 6, 2010

First Published Article!

Well, technically my videos in the Quilting Arts E Magazine was the first time I was published, but this is the first ever article I've written for a magazine!

This is an article on designing trapunto motifst and is published in the November 2010 issue of Machine Quilting Unlimited.

Just in case you've never heard of MQU, this is an awesome magazine full of beautiful photos of machine stitching. Both longarm and domestic machine articles are featured, giving the magazine a very inclusive feel.

For such a beautiful magazine, it's odd that I have a lot of trouble finding it in stores. I first heard about it while surfing the internet, but so far I have never seen it on a news stand in my area, so this may be a publication you just have to order online.

The article itself features Shadow Self and details the process of designing the complex trapunto design, incorporating it into the quilt, and finishing the quilt with various filler designs.

I had a lot of fun writing the article, though the looming deadline did drive me a bit batty at the end, I'm extremely pleased to see how it came out.

Definitely check it out if you're interested in learning more about the design process behind creating Shadow Self!

Let's go quilt,

Leah Day


  1. Look forward to reading your article. I've gotten that magazine for about a year now and it is my absolute favorite quilting magazine out there.

  2. Congrats!!! Have to keep my eyes open for that magazine.

  3. Congratulations Leah. My Quilt Store carries this magazine but not the local BN book store. I will go look for it. Justine

  4. Can't wait until my copy comes in the mail.
    I have not seen it locally, have a subscription.
    Great info in each issue.

  5. Congratulations, Leah! Can't wait to read the article. I'm subscribing today.

  6. Congratulations, Leah! Can't wait to read the article. I'm subscribing today. (Having trouble with Google account here, so sorry if the comment comes in more than once.)

  7. I have it Leah -- even though I quilt on a DSM, I accidently 'found' this magazine several years ago, and I am VERY glad. Congratulations on this fine article, and on ALL the knowledge you share with all of us. You are going FAR in this quilting world. 8-))


Related Posts with Thumbnails