The Free Motion Quilting Project: The Best Egg Nog - Ever!

Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Best Egg Nog - Ever!

I decided to kick Josh off his normal post as recipe man today so I could share one of my absolute favorite recipes for Egg Nog.

When I was a little girl, I had a great aunt named Ruth who came from Germany who lived across the street from my grandparents. During the holidays we would walk over and eat really good cookies and she would always make egg nog for the adults.

I never quite understood why I couldn't drink this drink that just looked like milk with sprinkles on top. I do remember that it, and really her whole house, smelled wonderful of cinnamon and nutmeg and ginger.

Fast forward 15 years and I finally decided to try out an Egg Nog recipe on my own. Yeah, there is the store bought stuff, but I wouldn't drink that if you paid me. It's way too sugary and sweet, not to mention pasteurized which takes all the flavor out of the eggs (if they even use eggs).

I just happened to be watching Alton Brown's Good Eats on Food Network at the time and he has a wonderful episode just on making egg nog. What I like the best is he teaches you how to make it with raw eggs (back off food police!) and for those squeamish about that kind of thing, he also teaches you how to cook the egg nog so there's absolutely no risk what so ever.

Keep in mind that Josh and I only make egg nog with super fresh, farm raised eggs. Since our chickens are currently in "off" mode as far as production goes, we're using fresh eggs from our neighborhood farm lady.

Fresh eggs are super important to this recipe so if you don't currently have a supplier, take a look around your area and see what's available. It can be very surprising what is available as far as fresh eggs, milk, cheese, and butter and the quality is absolutely amazing.

So here's part 1 of Alton's School of Hard Nogs recipe:


And here's part 2:


Hmmm...This really is the best egg not recipe ever. And the best holiday combination? Egg nog and chocolate cookies!

Let's go quilt,

Leah

4 comments:

  1. I don't watch cooking shows, he's funny :o)
    So, I guess there's no chance you could contact a cousin or someone to get your Great Aunt Ruth's recipe? Family traditions make the holidays, well extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few weeks ago I started looking at some of your early days and have been trying out a number of patterns. I really appreciate what you are doing.
    I just read about losing your dog and I wanted to tell you how sorry I am. They are such a gift and their shorter lifespan always brings me back through grief to humanity.
    Sybil Winfield

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog and your tutorials this morning! I've been quilting for years and have never been confidant enough for free-motion quilting. I'm finishing up a precious Christmas quilt and I might give it a try! Merry Christmas! I'm right down the road in Hickory!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nog is cooling, think it will be good. I bought half n half by mistake instead of heavy cream. Hopefully I saved a few calories and didn't ruin the recipe. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails