The Free Motion Quilting Project: Flowers and Shadows

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Flowers and Shadows

Today is "What's Leah Working on Wednesday" and I've finally made it back into the studio after the weekend trip. Despite a washing machine drain that has clogged AGAIN, I have managed to prewash all of the new Australian prints I picked up in Boone at The Quilt Shop.

free motion quilting | Leah DayWhile the fabrics were in the wash, I've been playing with a couple different ideas for the quilt I want to make with them. My original inspiration was the beautiful quilt in the shop which used basic shadow techniques to highlight the beautiful fabrics.

Creating shadows either from piecing, applique, or paint is actually very easy! I've been wanting to play with it ever since I picked up the book Casting Shadows by Colleen Wise.

But the more I've played with my design, the bigger the quilt has gotten! I wanted to keep the fabrics in big pieces, around 12" x 24", so the unique Aboriginal design doesn't get lost by cutting them up into small pieces.

Right now my sketch would create a huge 125" x 100" king sized quilt, which is perfect because I still haven't gotten around to making a quilt for my new bed. The only problem with this is I didn't buy enough fabric!

That's a really important lesson that I still get reminded of on occasion. I purchased 1/2 yards because I was getting so many different prints, thinking that that would be enough. Normally that would be plenty even for a queen sized quilt, but king really eats up the fabric quickly.

So that dilemma has stalled this quilt for a bit. I'm debating buying more fabric, or simply changing the design to use the fabric I already purchased more effectively.

When I haven't been playing with graph paper trying to figure out this quilt design, I've been working on my first Flower Power wall hanging!

free motion quilting | Leah DayThe weather has finally turned cold, so I've been wanting a simple hand work project to work on while curled up in front of the fireplace.

I know this quilt doesn't look like much right now, but that's because it's only half finished! The vase and stems have been hand appliqued in place. The next step is to baste this little quilt top and quilt the flowers through all three layers in free motion. The hardest part is picking which flower designs to use!

I'm heading back into the studio to start working on this little quilt, then upstairs to mix up some egg nog. hmmmm....egg nog and chocolate cookies - what could be better than that!?

Let's go quilt,

Leah Day

1 comment:

  1. The Aboriginal prints are beautiful. I am looking forward to seeing what you decide to do. I solved the "how much fabric to purchase" question by deciding to buy a minimum of 1 yard of each fabric I like. I have never been sorry about that decision. I have used some of the fabrics in several projects. I will buy less if I have a specific pattern and know how much I need. Even then, I have rounded up the amount bought. If the pattern calls for 1/2 yard, I will get 1 yard if it "speaks to me". If my funds are short, I avoid quilt shops and go thru my stash. If you do not enter, you can not be tempted.


Related Posts with Thumbnails