The Free Motion Quilting Project: Fabric Trends Magazine

Friday, January 7, 2011

Fabric Trends Magazine

Some days I just want to dance around my quilting studio and scream Whoo HOO! on the top of my lungs!

Why am I so happy and excited?!

Because Mark Lipinski just put me in his magazine!

I've been DYING to tell ya'll about this since October and now I finally can because the magazine is out now.

Here's how it happened: On one random day in October Josh checked his email and asked "Does the name Mark Lipinski mean anything to you?"

I said "Uhhh....yeah.... You mean the real Mark Lipinski?!" and almost had a happy heart attack right there on the couch.

You see, this was an enormously big deal to me because the first ever quilting magazine I ever REALLY wanted to be in was Mark's Quilter's Home magazine.

And here's why: In the summer of 2008 and I was visiting my hometown with my parents for a weekend and my dad said "I saw this quilting magazine at the tractor supply store. It had a list of the top 50 websites and I looked and didn't see yours on it."

Keep in mind, this was 2 years ago, way before this project was thought of and way before any of you knew me by name. Day Style Designs did exist, though there was very little to see and, like a tear drop in the ocean of the internet, I certainly didn't deserve to be on any top 50 list.

But hearing my dad say that...well...it kinda lit a fire under me. I think I'd already had the idea for the project, but been waiting (procrastinating maybe?) for the ultimate push to get started, to see if this was possible.

Looking back I see that it was a rather teenage reaction of I'll show you! to my dad because I really did want to show him that I could build a good website, and I decided that the ultimate sign that I'd built my site big enough and good enough was to be featured in Mark's magazine.

AND I HAVE BEEN!!!

Mark emailed me in October to see if we could quickly add a feature on the project into his Winter 2011 issue of Fabric Trends magazine. We had 5 days to the deadline, but we managed to get it all together and, from what I've heard (I haven't read it yet!), it's a really fantastic feature on the journey to creating this project, plus many photos of designs I've shared so far.

Several quilters have commented and emailed saying they saw the feature, and a few more have emailed saying they just learned about the project TODAY from the magazine!

So as I dance around and around my quilting room, I feel like I can check off one thing from my master list of Things I Must Do Before I Die - I've been featured in Mark's magazine. Yay!

Let's go quilt,

Leah Day

34 comments:

  1. Leah, the one question that springs to my mind is ... Why does the Tractor Supply store have quilting magazines??

    ReplyDelete
  2. And ... Congratulations -a well deserved reward for your hard work, and recognition of how much your legion of fans love what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Leah!! How very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on achieving a lifetime goal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! That's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohmygosh Leah!!!
    Congratulations!!!
    You must be SO proud!
    And WE are proud of you too!
    Wow! Mark Lipinski, huh?!
    Congratulations once again!
    =-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! Glad you've reached such a happy goal at a time when you've been overcoming a lot of the past adversity in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't buy mags often, but picked this one up last week and saw you in there. Not sure if I emailed or not, but here's my congrats to you!
    Blessings :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! This a really big deal and you should be dancing for joy. You have worked hard and deserve it! Hope you find time to celebrate the milestone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love Mark Lipinski. I am a Creative Mojo listener from Day 1 and although it's hard to get his magazines here in Australia I also read his blogs and things.
    Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Leah, that's great. I will have to track down a copy.

    Congratulations! It is a well deserved honor.

    Moni

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yea, Leah, your hard work has paid off...congratulations. Will look for the magazine at store this week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations...... Doin' the happy dance for ya.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Way to go Leah! Mark L knows a good thing when he sees it. May all your ventures blossom--happy 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Leah, you deserve recognition for how much you give to quilters. You are making so many achieve the fact that free motion can be done. I am spreading the word to all my quilting friends. You have achieved so much at an early age. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A Big Congrats!

    How wonderful to dream a dream and have it come true.

    I will have to buy this edition.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats Leah! This is awesome news!

    p.s. I'm enjoying your DVD on Free Motion Quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh WOW! That's fantastic!! I love Mark Lipinski too! He's been a big inspiration for me too! Congrats!! Much deserved for you too! You're blog has inspired me to get better at my free-motion quilting. I'm working on a "free-motion" project right now that I'm blogging about here: http://becky-beckysblabber.blogspot.com/ You certainly helped me get to this place!! Thanks and again, congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've followed you for awhile and can imagine how excited you are. This is HUGE! Relish the moment. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hooray for you, Leah! You're good at keeping a secret!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations, your dream come trough, enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations you must still be on cloud 9

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations Leah! Can't wait to see it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Leah, I was just reading that magazine in bed last night, and then I turned the page and saw your little face peeking out - I was so surprised and happy for you! You deserve the kudos and attention for this project. And you've been so helpful to me personally, so many times... at first I couldn't believe a *famous* blogger would even return my e-mail, but there you were, helping me out. I really appreciate that, and wish you much continued success!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yay Leah! Ouch on the dad comment! lol geeze. Nice nice for you!! You know you deserve it.

    ps - I did not comment , but thank you for your incredibly personal blogpost on the sinkhole. I like that you aren't "faking" life here on the internet. KWIM?

    ~Monika

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congraulations Leah, What fun. I'd be doing the happy dance too. : )

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congratulations - you deserve it!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That's awesome Leah! Mark's magazines are the best & you should be proud to be featured in one of them. Congrats!

    -debby
    Chester, NY

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations, that's so cool! And you deserve it!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations! The article is what brought me to your blog and I have not been disappointed! I'm eager to explore more!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Finally, I found a copy. Congratulations! Loved it!
    I am so excited for you. I have been showing all my friends.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails