Saturday, January 15, 2011

Packing for the Party!

That's Myrtle Beach Quilt Party to be exact!

I've been getting really excited about this event. It's 3 days of workshops taught in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina in the Sheraton Convention Center. For those not attending classes, there is going to be a terrific vendor mall of quilting businesses from all over.

My friend Brenda Arrowwood of Schoolhouse Quilts will be there with her huge supply of books and every quilting notion known to quilting kind. It really is an amazing collection of tools, rulers, gizmos, and gadgets all designed to make quilting easier.

I'm probably going to stop by Featherweight Poppy, which is quite a dangerous idea as I've been thinking more and more about buying a Singer Featherweight. Do I really need another machine? Absolutely not! But wouldn't it be fun to see how a featherweight handles free motion quilting?

And of course I can't miss The Quilter's Gallery and their fabric pizzas - high in fiber, but calorie free!

I've known about this quilt party since I moved to Shelby, NC because so many members of my guild attend each year. It's hard to miss it when you attend a guild meeting only to find a skeleton crew because everyone has gone to the beach!

It was super exciting to be asked last spring if I'd like to teach classes there this year. Apparently my fellow guild members had spread the word a bit because apparently there weren't any classes on free motion quilting at the party in 2010.

What I like best is the chance to teach a 2 day class. This will allow me to share SO much more about free motion and allow us to get into designs and design types that I have never managed to get to in my 1 day, 6 hour classes.

Early on in the planning for these classes, I decided to try something new: to teach directly out of From Daisy to Paisley, the beginner book on free motion quilting designs.

I decided to do this because I usually end up spending 3 days printing and organizing handouts that end up either getting lost or not being used. That's a frustrating waste of time to say the least, and by teaching out of the book, I don't have to spend this weekend writing, printing, and stapling as I normally do before a workshop.

So today I plan to get everything organized and packed, and in my spare time, hand applique a bit more of Hot Cast's hair.

So that's it for today! I'm off to pack, applique, and quilt!

Leah

7 comments:

Roberta Jehn said...

Have fun teaching your 2 day class. Your students are very lucky to have you as a teacher. I am sure you will get inspirations when you view other quilts at the show. It is fun to look and admire other's work. At the same time, one can not help but think, "If it were me, I would have done.... diffenently, used a differnent color, design.... I like that technique, I will make a small sketch and try that technique myself....". I am looking forward to your description of all that you have seen at the "Quilt Party", and how your class went. Not sure if the weather will be "Beach" weather. Have Fun.

autumnesf said...

THis sounds wonderful. And I have my grandmothers feather weight sitting on a table in the corner and have not touched it yet. My mom brought it to me when I started quilting and assured me I wanted it. So...I'd love to hear anything you have to say about free motion quilting on it. And a big THANK YOU. You are truly the one that gave me the courage to try free motion quilting. I was paralyzed by the thought but I ran across your blog and I'm getting braver all the time. You've made a difference in my life (I know that sounds a little corny) and I just wanted to let you know that.

Sybil said...

I love to go to Brenda's shop. I went during a shop hop. Everything you could ever need for any type of quilting is found in her shop. She has gorgeous fabrics and so many books.

sewmuch2do said...

Leah,

DON'T get a featherweight for Free Motion. I have one and love it for travel, piecing and its beautiful stitch. But for FM, it skips terribly, the harp is tiny, and the motor is not powerful for hours of dragging a quilt through. You have your Janome for that - I have my Bernina for that. If you want the featherweight for travel, piecing, or just appreciate its mechanical precision, then great. Otherwise, save your money.

Betsy said...

Hope you have a great trip and your class goes great. So wish I could be there too!
Betsy

crowefan0517 said...

Have a wonderful time Leah! I'm sure your students will learn a lot. Lucky them :)

-debby
Chester, NY

jackie said...

You sound v. busy. I hope you have a great time.
I have just put a link to your blog in my recent post; in fact, I made you my January Blog Hero.

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails