The Free Motion Quilting Project: Unpacking from Myrtle Beach

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Unpacking from Myrtle Beach

Yes, it has taken me a full week to unpack from our trip to Myrtle Beach Quilt Party last weekend. I'm finally getting around to unpacking all the goodies I picked up in the vendor mall. Check out this new addition to my stash!

free motion quilting | Leah Day
I picked these beauties up from Quiltmakers Workshop from Alabama. I've never collected Kaffe Fassett prints before simply because I didn't know what the heck to do with them.

Now with the Australian Shadows quilt under my belt, I know exactly what to do with bold, busy prints - make them the showcase using shadows and simple shapes!

So I picked up a good collection of colors and textures. And another vendor decided to discount her fat quarters to $1.00 each on the last day and of course, I couldn't resist a deal like that!

And here's the real motherload:
free motion quilting | Leah DayThese are packs of embellishments and hand painted faces from Karen Pharr Studios. I've been wanting to experiment with more embellishment on the surface of my quilts, especially adding unique fibers and beads. I'm planning to play with these new goodies on Hot Cast once she's been completely quilted, painted, and bound.

Karen's painted faces really caught my eye because I've had a continual idea to make a few small goddess dolls lately, but felt troubled by the face and head section. I kept visualizing stitching a face on with beads and now I can!

Best of all was Karen herself who is an awesome quilter, teacher, and business owner. As soon as I saw her booth, I knew I wanted to hang out for awhile, but didn't have much time.

I explained exactly what I was looking for - bright red, orange, and gold threads and embellishments - and Karen looked around while I was in class. I came back at lunch when I had more time to shop and Karen had a selection ready for me. I really loved her booth and all the samples she had and snapped this photo of her in the middle of it all:

So that's the main haul from the Myrtle Beach Quilt Party! Now I just need to get all this fabric into the wash for a good prewash and then hung up with the stash in the quilting room. I hope I have enough hangers!

Let's go quilt,

Leah Day

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful haul!!! You are going to have fun with those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, aaah. Love the rich colours. What a great reminder of the weekend! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOh looks like you got away with some fabulous loot there!!! Glad you finally had time to get everything unpacked so we can see;0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You never have enough hangers! Great color choices. I never choose oranges until a mystery quilt where the instructor choose the fabric for the students. She choose colors that each had never used before.We had a choice of traditional or batiks. I love batiks. She choose orange with purple in batiks. She wanted us to work outside our comfort zone. I love oranges now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so fun. My friend, Shelly Smola of myfairladydesigns.com taught machine embroidery projects there last year. Looks like you made a great haul!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails