The Free Motion Quilting Project: Another Year Older

Friday, February 25, 2011

Another Year Older

I've kind of taken this week off to work on quilts and focus on my awesome little boy because this is the day he turns 4 years old.

It's hard to believe it's been 4 years! Sometimes it feels like he's been here forever, a smiling face and cheerful presence my whole life. He really is the most happy, outgoing person I've ever met!

But sometimes it feels like he's only been here 4 minutes, the memories of his birth still so fresh in my mind.

Last year this was a hard day for me because the deep hole of post partem depression was still knocking at my door.

This year, I can feel the space I've put between myself and that pain, the miles of emotion I've tread while creating Shadow Self, My Cup Runneth Over, and Sinkhole.

I've gotten a little distance from all that darkness, but I think it will always be an aspect of my life. It's another little patch on my quilt. It doesn't define me, but it is, and always will be, a piece of me.

So today while I give many hugs and kisses to my baby, who is not really a baby anymore, but a fully potty trained, extensively talking, BIG boy, I'm also going to take a little time for myself to celebrate the time that has passed and the distance I've climbed out of that hole.

To the journey,



  1. Leah, I think you've earned your week off ten times over! Enjoy your little boy, as they grow up way too soon! Been reading your blog for a while, and I'm really happy to hear you've found light at the end of that dark tunnel. Have a great weekend!

  2. Happy Birthday to your little boy, and Happy Birthing Day to you - glad it's a happier one for you this year.

  3. Postpartum depression is a terrible thing, but I'm glad to read that this year you are able to move further past it and make today a day of joy and celebration! Hugs to you Leah, and a very happy birthday wish for your little James!

  4. Dear Leah,
    Happy birthday to your little boy! Mine turned 4 on the 11th, and I also just recently climbed out of the horrible hole of post partum depression. The difference in our stories being that my husband was incredibly insupportive (to the point of flat out refusing to help me when I begged him to take me to the doctor), and that I am finally strong enough to divorce him and know that I will be happier for it.

    I wish you all the best and thank you again for being such an inspiration.


  5. Hearing of people that had this pp depression makes me feel for them.If its any joy a lot of us care for these woman who are real heroes. Best wishes and focus on the joy your boy, quilting and other wondeful things you have..Love Celia

  6. Leah, happy birthday to your son. Enjoy, time goes so fast. My "baby" is almost 13 and it seems like she should still be a toddler. Love your posts, trying to learn machine quilting and you make it seem so easy. Thanks for the inspiration. Have a great day. God Bless.

  7. Happy Birthday Little Man! I know what you mean about a "dark hole". Been there, done that, and I am glad you too are in a better place. Have a great weekend!


Related Posts with Thumbnails