Monday, February 21, 2011

Day 255 - Falling Stars

Today is day 255 and I've been looking back through all the designs posted and realized we really need some more star designs!

So here's a fun design of stars set on the end of a jagged line as though they are falling from the sky:

free motion quilting | Leah Day
Today I'm back in the studio and working on cleaning it up and clearing it out. I've recently realized just how much STUFF I have sitting around that I'm never going to use.

So I'm planning to throw most of it up on Ebay this week! I know I will be selling at least 1 machine, possibly 2, fabric, a knitting machine, and several items I've discontinued from the store.

I'll keep you posted about the auctions when they get started! Now let's get back to Falling Stars:

Difficulty Level - Intermediate. The hardest part about this design is not creating the falling stars, but dealing with all the weird areas and gaps that can result. If you end up with a big gap in the texture, just quilt some straight lines into the space on the same scale as the rest of the design.

Design Family - Echoing. Falling Stars is pretty similar to Starfish and World of Stars, but I like this one better because it has a lot more movement and flow. A super easy variation of this design would be to switch out the jagged line for a curvy line to create an entirely different texture.

Directional Texture - All Directions. I just love the texture of this design! The straight lines and sharp angles really draw your attention to the stars.

Suggestions for Use - My son James is totally obsessed with space. He's constantly talking about blasting off in his rocket ship and flying to the moon, the stars, or the planets.

If you have a similarly space crazy kid or grandkid, consider creating a space inspired quilt complete with rocket ships, aliens, and planets, but don't forget to stitch some Falling Stars in the background as well!

Back of Falling Stars
free motion quilting | Leah DayFeel free to use this free motion quilting design in your quilts

Let's go Quilt!

Leah Day

1 comment:

  1. This is amazing! You are a source of constant inspiration. Love your blog and your designs. Thanks for sharing your gifts!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails