The Free Motion Quilting Project: Fun with Flowers and Binding

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Fun with Flowers and Binding

Today is What's Leah Working On Wednesday so let's check into the studio to see what's going on...

I'm happy to say that I'm finally getting the binding on the Australian Shadows Quilt! I have an appointment with my photographer tomorrow so I have to get the rest of this stitched down by tomorrow morning!

free motion quilting | Leah Day
Hand binding is a great excuse to chill on the couch with James. He seems to have inherited my ability to handle a quilt full of pins and never get pricked.

This is very unlike Josh who is a human magnet for sharp needles. I swear we can be sitting down and my quilt will have one single pin in it and Josh will get poked. Needless to say, he doesn't like sitting with me when there's a work in progress on my lap!

I'm using this hand binding time to watch a selection of my favorite BBC shows on Netflix: Top Gear, Dr. Who, and Torchwood. Apparently we now have an US version of Top Gear, but it looks like something straight out of Idiocracy. Not my cup of tea...

This morning before jumping on the computer, I jumped on my machine and stitched out the flower designs on this Flower Bouquet Quilt:

free motion quilting | Leah DayI'm so happy with this I could dance a jig! I knew the Center Fill flower designs would look great in place of appliqued flowers, but I'd never actually tried it out.

Having stitched these 5 flowers, I'm even more in love with flower designs! All of the designs I used are fairly simple: Loopy Flower, Spinning Daisy, Super Daisy, Sunflower, and Woven Flower, a design I haven't posted yet.

I can't wait to fill the rest of this quilt and see how it's going to finish up! I'm probably going to use an Independent design for the background so it's easy to wiggle around the flower and stem shapes. I don't want the thread to build up too much in the background or it will distract from the flowers.

I haven't decided what to do in the vase or the border yet, but I've gotta say this is the most fun I've had making a wall hanging in a long time!

I'm off to quickly bind, then get back to quilting. This is so much fun!

Leah Day

9 comments:

  1. Have you taken a look at the British series "Doc Martin" on Netflix?

    Looks like you have a new generation of quilter coming along in James.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is a good idea for the Transformation quilt contest!!! I have been thinking a lot about what I will make out of this theme. Your flower is a good example of thinking "out of the box". So I will continue exploring ideas. Your flower is an inspiration for new ideas! I love your work!

    Anne-Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. A couple years ago I took a class called Bold and Beautiful. It used a book by the same name. I don't remember the author. We painted the flowers some beautiful colors after we stitched them. Your flowers make me want to do this again.
    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  4. they are some of my fav tv programmes too. Do you like the new Dr Who? We think he's great, just watched the Christmas special last weekend based on 'A Christmas Carol' with flying sharks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leah

    Absolutely charming wall hanging!

    You never cease to inspire.

    By the way, after learning about your website through me, several of my quilting friends have been following you and a couple have bought your book of beginning designs.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  6. How do you manage to entertain your active son while hand sewing and watching TV? I can multitask, but when intently watching TV and hand stitching, I often stick my own fingers. You must have lots of patience or your son is an angle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha! Toys Roberta, lots and lots of toys keep James contented while I stitch. I'm not saying it's the easiest or fastest way to bind a quilt, but it's fun to get away from the sewing machine every once and awhile.

    But not for too long! The quilt is bound and I'm dying to get back to my flower wall hanging.

    Let's go quilt,

    Leah Day

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, your work is so beautiful! I'm even more in awe, now that I'm starting to do some free motion quilting myself.

    BBC has the best TV shows, I think. I also love Dr. Who, Torchwood, and Doc Martin. I'll have to check out the other one, Top Gear? was it, haven't heard of it before. I also loved Monarch of the Glen and Ballykissangel. As far as science fiction, have you seen Stargate Atlantis? I really liked it.

    OK, back to practicing my free motion quilting!

    Thanks for your inspiring blog,
    Diana

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails