The Free Motion Quilting Project: The Transformation Challenge

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Transformation Challenge

Get ready guys! Guess what's coming!?

Our very first quilting contest!!!

free motion quilting | Leah DayI've been wanting to hold a contest to get everyone involved with the project for a LONG time, and now we're finally ready to go!

This contest is very simple: create a small quilt that measures exactly 9 inches x 12 inches and use a minimum of 5 designs from the Free Motion Quilting Project.

If you want to use more designs, go for it! With 250 designs now posted, I think the hardest part will be picking which designs to use!

The theme for this contest is Transformation - The Art and Challenge of Change.

The last 6 months has been a time of intense transformation for me and I'd love to see how this theme inspires and challenges you. Feel free to use the theme any way you want to, and don't be afraid to try new techniques or embellishments on your quilt.

Because I really want you to have an open field of creativity, there is no limit on the number or types of fabrics you can use. Just play and have fun!

You also have plenty of time to plan and work on your contest quilt. Registration will open April 1st, and the deadline to enter will be July 31st. So you have more than 5 months to work on your piece!

While you're working on your quilt, feel free to blog about it, share photos, and even videos on your website. If you make a video, make sure to email me and let me know and I'll share it here on the blog with everyone following the contest!

Because this is our very first quilt contest, it's hard to know how many people will enter, so we're not going to set a number of finalists or winners at this time.

Everyone that finalizes for the contest will have the photos of their piece posted here on the project with links going back to their individual blog or website. This is a great way to show off your skill at free motion quilting with the world!

Finally, the winners of the contest will each win $50 cash! Like I said, I don't know how many winners we will have, but I hope it's a whole lot!

Why do I want there to be lots of winners?

Because all the winning quilts will be put together into one big show quilt that will travel around the country (maybe the world!) competing in the group category!

Everyone that wins will not only receive $50 cash, but the chance to participate in this awesome show quilt!

The nitty gritty details of the contest are located right here, and I will also be linking this page up in the sidebar of the blog.

If you have any questions about this contest, feel free to post them in the comments below! I need to know if I've left any details out.

Let's go quilt!

Leah Day

22 comments:

  1. So you want the edges finished, like bound? So you're going to display them as a group but not actually sew them together, correct?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janice - Yes, bind the edges so there are no raw, easily frayed edges.

    The quilts will all be sewn onto a background quilt because to show, the quilt must be one solid piece.

    Let me know if you have any more questions!

    Leah Day

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! I'm in. I'll go and read the instructions now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooooh, this will encourage me to branch out and practice diff stitches! Thank you for continuing to inspire us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh now you've got me thinking - this will be very exciting and hopefully you'll get your Flickr pages filling up
    I see lots of doodles ahead to sort out a design concept if I'm going to take part
    Thanks Leah, this should nudge us a bit further on

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is "sew" exciting! I cannot wait to get started.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a really interesting challenge. Thanks for offering it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I use my longarm machine or does it have to be done on a domestic machine?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh! I love the idea, I will try to be brave enough to enter LOL I've never entered a quilt show, it sounds like fun.
    ps I love your blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janet - Yes! It could definitely be a wholecloth quilt and yes, you're welcome to make it on your longarm so long as you finish it off at 9 inches by 12 inches.

    Good luck,

    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm. . . This sounds interesting and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Leah this sounds really exciting! Not sure about actually doing it though... Thinking about it though. Is it ok to enter even if we don't have a blog or a website? Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I expected that because your blog focuses on domestic machine quilting that you might limit it to that and not include long arm machines. Many with long arms have professional service businesses.

    Is it possible that you might consider distinguishing between long arms artists and domestic machine quilters?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't suppose it matters if the quilt is oriented vertically or horizontally?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastico! Credo che ci proverò...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Reneek - Nope! It doesn't matter if it's horizontal or vertical. Play with the design and let it take you where it wants to go!

    Sportsgirl132 - As long as the quilt is quilted on a small scale, I personally can't tell whether it's been quilted on a longarm or a domestic machine.

    There's not really a way to distinguish domestic verses longarm, so if you really want people to know that, make sure to include it in your blurb about the quilt when you enter.

    Carol J - No, you don't have to have a website! I just thought I'd include that so those that do would know that this is a great networking and traffic building opportunity.

    Cheers,

    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wauv, this is just great! Love your blog, your quilting and this idea. I'll go on to reading the instructions and find out, if I'll pass ;))

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea Leah! Im glad you are letting longarmers in although my machine and micro quilting dont always mix...it will be a good challenge for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I sounds exciting.....

    ....Can people enter from all over the world or just America?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Catherine - Great question! I know I have many readers from Australia, Canada, UK, even Bulgaria! It would be really mean to leave all you guys out so everyone - absolutely everyone in the whole wide world - is invited to enter this contest. The more the merrier!

    Cheers,

    Leah

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails