The Free Motion Quilting Project: Supernova Quilt-Along

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Supernova Quilt-Along

I know this may be hard to believe, but I've NEVER done an online quilt-along! I didn't even really understand what a Quilt-Along was or how I could join in until today.

Supernova Quilt-Along with Freshly Pieced

I know, I know - What planet have I been living on?!

For those of you who don't know what the heck a Quilt-Along is, here's a basic rundown from what I've learned this afternoon:

Lee, the awesome blogger behind Freshly Pieced, designed an beautiful quilt pattern called Supernova. She's broken down the piecing instructions into reasonable chunks which can be finished over the next 3-4 weeks. The plans will start being posted with cutting instructions starting March 24th, but yardage requirements are already online right here.

So basically the idea is we will all follow the directions step by step with our own fabrics, post our project on her Supernova Quilt Along Flickr Group, and generally have a blast, and learn a lot while making this beautiful quilt!

I've got a stack of pretty Moda fat quarters that desperately need to see the sharp edge of my rotary cutter so I'm definitely joining in! Click here to go to the Freshly Pieced blog and learn more about the Quilt Along and the fabrics you'll need to make this quilt.

And super thank you to Gen X Quilter, AnneMarie - if you hadn't blogged about it today, I wouldn't have known about it!

Let's go quilt,

Leah Day


  1. I am just about finished with my first quilt-along, Blockapalooza, hosted by John at Quilt Dad. I have had so much fun! I have been using the exact fabrics and doing the exact blocks as the designers who are doing the tutorials, but so many are working from stash and doing AMAZING variations on what we are given each week. I have learned SO MUCH, and I feel like my skills have improved exponentially as a result.
    I think you'll enjoy it, Leah, and I think you'll be a great help to the other participants as well! ENJOY!

  2. Oh I do like this quilt design - it's so fresh
    I've got a QAL going too - Charley Harper Quilt Along - join us on Flickr - pick your favourite Charley Harper image and reproduce it in fabric or stitches - his artwork is stunning, simple or more complicated with a retro feel.
    In just over 2 weeks there are some project completed and some are still trying to decide on which image they want to do.
    Challenge yourself, stretch you skills and enhance the panel with some of Leah's super FMQ designs.

  3. Hi Leah,
    I've been looking for the completed Australian Shadows quilt. I bought the fabric today for a shadow box cot quilt, so would love to see yours finished!
    And, on the subject of cot quilts, how about some filler designs especially for baby and children's quilts? Just a suggestion, no pressure or anything :-)

  4. I'm honored to be your first quilt-along! : ) Thanks for joining in, I can't wait to get started. And maybe you can give us some tips/ideas when we get to the quilting stage!

  5. Thanks Leah, for blogging about the Super Nova Quilt-along. I've wanted to do a "modern" quilt using a solid, so this is just the motivation I need. I appreciate you leading me to Freshly Pieced. It will be fun to FMQ too!


Related Posts with Thumbnails