The Free Motion Quilting Project: Supernova Update

Friday, March 25, 2011

Supernova Update

Last week I decided to join a quilt along being held by Freshly Pieced to create this awesome Supernova quilt:

Yesterday Lee posted the cutting instructions. At first I was worried the cutting would be really complicated, but once I got into it, it's very easy if you work block by block.

Yesterday I started pulling fabrics and deciding what I would use. Because I don't have the blocks mapped out in my head, I couldn't visualize what each fabric was being used for. This posed a challenge, but then I decided to just wing it. It will be far more interesting to just see what happens after I start piecing the blocks.

I have decided to pretend the blocks are flowers, so I choose one center fabric that was used throughout each block and the second fabric is a dark or light green. This should add some continuity between the blocks and make things interesting.

So here's my fabric choices for each block:

free motion quilting | Leah DayI'm so glad I took Lee's advice and cut fabric block by block and put everything in labeled baggies. I don't want to think how messed up everything would be if I hadn't!

free motion quilting | Leah DayThis was I can't wait to start piecing these into blocks! Cutting the Super Nova quilt out was a nice break from Hot Cast, but now I'm ready to get back to quilting.

Let's go quilt,

Leah Day


  1. Hey, that's cool how the gray line-extenders in the border actually look like different grays depending on which color it's next to.

  2. Your combo of colours you picked worked wonderful in this piece. Can you tell us where you got the patteren from. Thanks for sharing

  3. Oooooohhh, your colors look good. Mine started out sort of single colored but it's more mixed up now. I am always nervous with these mystery sort of quilts but I think this will be good. ;)

  4. Hey! You are going to regret getting rid of all those smaller pieces of fabrics yet! This is a really neat pattern and looks like it would work up fast.

  5. Oh wow, this is looking fabulous! I love your color choices, and what a great idea to use the same color at the center of each block. This is one of the things I love about quilt-alongs, seeing how everybody varies the design and makes it their own.

    I can't wait to get everybody started on piecing it! Thanks for joining us!

  6. WOW! Your colors are gorgeous!! I absolutely canNOT wait to see you finish this and then... QUILT IT! Omgoodnesss ohmygoodness!!
    hee hee. I LOVE the quilting process.. but i feel like i have no creativity when it comes to quilting...I'm going to think about how I am going to quilt it, and then I'll see you do it 50X better! hahah


Related Posts with Thumbnails