The Free Motion Quilting Project: Videocast #4 - I'm Crazy about Hot Cast

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Videocast #4 - I'm Crazy about Hot Cast

Is it really Thursday? I feel like I've lost a few days this week because I've been spending so much time in the studio stitching, stitching, stitching away on Hot Cast.

I was also pleasantly surprised when Josh greeted me this morning with "Happy Anniversary!" Time really does fly when you're having fun and it's hard to believe we're celebrating our 6th wedding anniversary today!

This also marks the day I celebrate as when I officially started quilting. Technically I didn't start quilting the day I got married (that would be messed up!), but it was around this time in 2005 that I decided I MUST make a Double Wedding Ring quilt to celebrate my wedding.

That first project ended in utter disaster, but it didn't stop me or dim my desire to learn everything I can about quilting. 6 years later, I'm still as in love with this craft as I am with my husband. Maybe it's like wine - it just keeps getting better year after year.

So let's catch up with what designs I've posted this week and how Hot Cast is looking right now:

I mention a few different things in this videocast that you might want to check out:

Psychedelic Checkerboard
was inspired by Checkerboard. It's basically a wiggly version of the original.

Icicle Lights would look great on a quilt combined with Chain of Holly Berries, Peppermint Candy, and Poinsettia.

I used a Fine Line water soluble pen to mark the surface of Hot Cast in the areas I was struggling with.

And yes, if you watch all the way to the very end of the video you'll see a funny blooper of me totally forgetting what I posted yesterday.

So for the last week I've been working non-stop on Hot Cast. Part of this has been out of absolute love for her and wanting to see her finished. This is my absolute favorite goddess so far and I can't wait to see what she will look like with everything done.

free motion quilting | Leah DayBut part of the other reason I've been working so hard has been simply wanting to "GET HER DONE!" in the pushy, workaholic sense.

I'm feeling a lot of pressure to get this quilt done so I can work on taxes, the next book of designs, the next dvd, the next goddess quilt, etc, etc, etc. and by this time in the quilting process, I start feeling the weight of all these projects buzzing around my head, ruining my enjoyment of the quilt I'm working on.

But this time instead of listening to the pressure, feeling it's weight, and allowing it to push and drive me to finish this quilt in a huge hurry, I've just stopped. I stopped and I listened and I tried to figure out why this was happening.

Because it's really a bad sign to be working on a quilt about finding self love if all I'm going to do is turn it into yet another club of stress to bludgeon myself with.

The fact is the list of things I feel like I MUST do or NEED to do is always a mile long. Some things, like taxes, will need to get done in the next few weeks, but there is nothing - seriously nothing - I need to do so badly that I should ruin my enjoyment of working on her.

Thinking on this more I realized the ultimate issue is that working on Hot Cast is something I WANT to do. I don't NEED to do this.

She's not due for some big competition or exhibition. I don't have some looming deadline. She is just a quilt I want to make for me. I want to spend time on her, and I want to enjoy this time. Is that too much to ask?

Looking back at a book I read in the fall - "I know I'm in There Somewhere" by Helene Brenner, I was reminded of a quote:
"...wanting for ourselves, for many of us, triggers outside voices telling us that we're being "selfish," not the way a woman should be. This is a terrible shame. For the truth is, wanting is good.
Wanting, in fact, may be the one absolutely essential ingredient to following your inner voice and becoming who you truly are. Only wanting has the energy, the power, the force to bring about change." (page 152)
So wanting to make Hot Cast, and wanting to enjoy this time - it's not too much to ask. I believe essential, good, and necessary. Wanting this does not make me a bad person.

When those voices and that list in my head gets started up about how much stuff I need to do, all those tasks waiting to be done, and how I should rush, rush, rush through this quilt because there's not enough time to enjoy it, I'm just not listening.

I want to enjoy making this quilt, I want to take my time and have fun with her, and their is NOTHING wrong with that.

Let's go quilt,



  1. Leah, Hot Cast is looking amazing!!! I can't wail to see her finished, but as you say you take your time in the sewing and the process you are exploring. you are an inspiration in many ways. Thak you. Caroline

  2. Great post. What a turn in emotions from avoidance to love!

  3. Hot Cast looks great! Front and back.

    Staying up all night serving the Muse is a far cry from staying up all night serving the dollar. You go!!

  4. You and hot cast are utterly amazing! I am impressed both by the beauty and by the transformational process represented in both. You are doing impressive work.

    Happy Anniversary to you and Josh, too. May you continue to improve, like a fine wine.

  5. Hot Cast is amazing. I am so inspired by your machine quilting and love coming to the blog to read about it.

    Congrats on 6 years!

  6. I especially love the back of the quilt!

  7. Hot Cast looks wonderful. I'm really enjoying your vidcasts.

    Chester, NY

  8. Happy Anniversary!

    I love the back of Hot Cast! I hadn't considered changing the bobbin thread to make the back more colorful. She's looking wonderful, and I wish I can see her in person someday.

  9. Such a great work, you are giving me a lot of inspirations - I love all your videos - I can watch them over and over. Wisch you a great Sunday.

  10. Leah, Hot Cast is one special project. Love seeing the quilting. Got a kick out of table arrangement - remembering your posts about getting and changing and making them work for you..... well in seeing that clean off space to quilt makes me a tad jealous..... as quilting would be more fun if I made space to really move the quilt as smoothly as possible. Thank you for the up close views of Hot Cast....


Related Posts with Thumbnails