The Free Motion Quilting Project: Videocast #5 - Transformation Challenge

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Videocast #5 - Transformation Challenge

It's What's Leah Working on Wednesday, and I've gotta say, I'm really loving these videocasts! It's been a challenge to follow the rule of "one shot, one take," but I'm getting used to it and worrying less about making everything perfect.

Case in point is today - Yes, I could look better. Yes, I could have combed my hair. But if I'd bothered to comb my hair, I would have also fussed about my desk being perfect, then I would have felt the need to change my shirt or put on jewelry, and by the time everything was perfect 2 hours later, I would have been so frustrated and tired, I might not have bothered shooting anything.

So this really is how I look almost every day - sloppy, comfortable, and ready to go take a nap!

Yes! The Transformation Challenge is ALMOST here! It will launch officially tomorrow right here.

I'm really excited to see what everyone has come up with. If you haven't made a piece yet, don't worry! You have until the deadline on July 31st to enter, which is plenty of time to play with the challenge and come up with something awesome.

Also mentioned in the video were the two designs posted this week: Patchwork Farmland and Sea Oat Flower.

Unfortunately I haven't really had a lot of time to work on Hot Cast this week, but I'm hoping to finish up with taxes this weekend and be ready to get back to her next week.

Let's go quilt,

Leah Day


  1. I haven't watched the Videocast #5 but I have been practicing using your first book--paisley. Of course, the first is stipple and that is what I have trouble with --making the pattern or lack of pattern. Is it just practice, practice?
    Suggestions from anyone?
    Nancy in IN

  2. Hi Nancy - Yes, practice helps, but also understand that Stippling can be challenging exactly for the reason you mentioned - the lack of design.

    It's easier to stitch something when you have a clear mental picture of what it looks like. Try thinking of cartoony shapes like dog ears, lobster claws, or fingers as you're trying to wiggle around your quilting space.

    Play with drawing it as well. Keep sketch paper at your kitchen table and doodle with no judgment. See what shapes feel natural for you, and which are more of a struggle. It may be that straight lines and sharp angles work better for you than curves!

    This was a great question! I'll definitely mention it in Videocast #6.


    Leah Day

  3. Leah, I hesitated to ask this but, would it be possible to put your free motion quilting samples in a flickr stream that has ONLY these samples? It would be so nice to be able to flip thru just YOUR designs, and then have the other stream for everyone else's versions. Just a thought. LOVE your designs and watching your personal journey as well. God Bless you , Claire

  4. Hi TwoDraftMom - My personal flickr stream is just a collection of photos from the project. You can find it easily at:



  5. Aaaaargh taxes. I am still working on mine too.

  6. Hi Leah - I just want to thank you for giving me the confidence to try free motion quilting. I always thought my quilting had to look perfect & after embracing 2 different patterns I have now finished a quilt for my 17yr old son. I don't think I could ever quilt-in-the-ditch again! Boring!!


Related Posts with Thumbnails