The Free Motion Quilting Project: Day 272 - Seashells & Waves

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Day 272 - Seashells & Waves

Uggh! I'm not sure whether it's allergies or a cold, but I'm all stuffed up! It's days like today that make me wish I lived at the beach. Something about the sea air always clears out my head.

Since we're not planning a beach trip for several more months, I guess I'll just have to content myself with this beach inspired design, though I doubt it will help me breathe!

free motion quilting | Leah DayThis Sea Shells & Waves design is a variation of Ocean Current and Whirlpools. This is the first Foundational Design I've intentionally travel stitched and built up thread around the circular loops.

This made the circles stand out more because the thread is so dark in those areas. Foundational Designs make me endlessly happy because every new design creates at least 3 more ideas to run with!


Difficultly Level - Intermediate. While it looks advanced, this design is surprisingly easy! It starts with a simple, curving foundation line that occasionally loops around to form occasional cursive letter "e's." All you have to do after you get the foundation set is to echo it! It's really that easy.

Design Family - Foundational. These designs can be placed in complex areas of your quilt, but really they are far easier when you use them in large, open areas.

Directional Texture - All Directions. The texture of Foundational Designs is entirely dependent on the starting line, so make it as wiggly or as straight as you like! Because of the echoed loops, Seashells & Waves will always have a beautiful multi-directional texture.

Suggestions for Use - How about an ocean quilt? Seashells appliqued within sand colored blocks, with Seashells & Waves stitched throughout the sashing and borders. Sounds like a beautiful beach retreat to me!

Back of Seashells & Waves
free motion quilting | Leah Day
Feel free to use this free motion quilting design in your quilts

Let's go Quilt!

Leah Day

3 comments:

  1. Oh, thank you! This one gives me a really good idea of how to tackle a section on a quilt that's been evading me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these foundational designs. I'm thinking that one could use hearts in the place of shells and it would have a similar effect. I might just try that on the quilt I'm working on right now. It will be posted on Flikr under the name Calif Poppy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails