I took the weekend off for Easter and because James was out of school all last week it's making for a very weird week this week. Bear with me while I get back on track!
In the studio for what feels like the last 3 years (in reality only 5 days) I've been painting the surface of Hot Cast. To some, this would be a pleasant vacation. Right now it feels like a trip to purgatory.
Well...it's not THAT bad really. It would be a million times worse if I wasn't working my way through listening to the entire George RR Martin Song of Ice and Fire Trilogy. At least my brain is entertained. I don't think I'd be able to deal with the monotony any other way.
But this is still very time consuming and tedious.
You might be wondering why I didn't choose another method, like applique to add the different colors to the surface of the quilt.
Yes, that might have been more pleasant and certainly wouldn't have my neck and shoulders screaming in agony from sitting in the same position for so long, but I admit that I'm just not skilled with applique enough to create such tiny detailed work like these leaves and tiny stems.
Don't get me wrong - I certainly know it's possible to do this with hand applique and even easier with fusible applique, but I just didn't feel like dealing with a lot of fiddly pieces for this quilt.
And to be perfectly honest, I prefer the look of paint! Isn't that perfect - I hate to paint, but I love the effect it gives my quilts!
I especially love the paints I'm using over Hot Cast. These are Jacquard Luminere paints that add a spectacular metallic look to the quilt top. I could never have achieved the perfect molten metal look of the body veins with any other paint or fabric:
For the body, it's been a multi-step process because I was painting over black fabric which just wanted to eat the paint up, but show no color.
First I covered the veins with white paint, then layered on a coat of Luminere Gold:
Then I dry brushed Luminere Bronze and Copper lightly on top. I only dry brushed the paint roughly over the middle of the veins so the color would be darkest in the center and lightest towards the edges.
I'm extremely pleased with how the body has turned out. Right now I'm less pleased with the leaves simply because I'm struggling to get the right color.
Originally I had planned to paint the vines and leaves with colored pencils, but after getting started I realized painting trapuntoed motifs with colored pencils is impossible. The extra layer of batting in these areas makes them too puffy and it's really difficult to get an even shading.
After playing with the top vine swirl for more than an hour I admitted defeat and pulled out more Jacquard paints, but unfortunately I only had Apple Green and this is just not the color I was aiming for in this area.
But what I've learned with painting is that it's never the end of the world so long as you have other colors you can try or you can mix to find the right balance. While it might be time consuming, you can always add more paint!
So I'm planning to take a break on the vines for awhile and finish painting the sun and columns. Yes, it may seem overkill to paint the columns, but I really want three things to jump out at you when you see this quilt: the goddess, the sun, and the columns.
The landscape and sky were always intended as the background so they will remain unpainted. As it is right now the columns blend in way too much with the sky and easily get lost in photos unless I really concentrate on getting the lighting just right.
So I'm heading back down for more painting, more excellent fantasy story, and more mind numbing tedium. Oh the things I do for love!
Let's go quilt,