The Free Motion Quilting Project: Videocast #7 - Super Busy Week

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Videocast #7 - Super Busy Week

It's been a super busy week of many projects, experiments, and fun ideas! Opening up my mind on Experiment Sunday has basically blown the door of possibilities off its hinges, and I don't think I'll ever close it again.

So let's recap on everything going on this week:

First off, the Textured Applique and Trapplique Experiment is posted right here. I'm still wanting to play with this technique some more, possibility mixing regular applique with textured applique to create the hair on my next goddess quilt.

We've also learned two new designs this week: Sea Weed Flower, which is a variation of Lollipop Flower and Granddaddy Longlegs, which would look great with some of our spider web designs like Web Fill and Cobwebs in the Corners.

Next I shared a bit about the Freshly Pieced Supernova Quilt Along I've been falling horribly behind on this week.

free motion quilting | Leah DayI did manage to piece one block, but after looking at my color arrangement I decided to reverse my blocks so they looked more like the flower shape I was going for:

free motion quilting | Leah DayI also received some cheerful Pin Toppers from Jessica of Sew Crafty Jess.

free motion quilting | Leah Day
I saw these linked up online somewhere and found her post on making them and immediately contacted her for a set. They just make me smile every time I see them!

But of course, I needed to first make myself a pin cushion worthy of these beautiful pins. I ended up experimenting with more quilted material and I'm extremely pleased with the result.

free motion quilting | Leah DayI'm planning to post a short tutorial on making this quilted pin cushion on Saturday, so don't miss it!

Whew! That's enough for this week! I'm going to wait to post an update about Hot Cast (yes, the quilting is done!) until tomorrow. It's been a long process, but there's finally light at the end of the tunnel!

Let's go quilt!

Leah Day


  1. How fun! Love the way you flipped teh supernova quilt block! I'm in the QAL too. How fun to see all of the great variations!!

  2. Hi! Leah,

    So great to see you on the video.

  3. Love your website and blog, very inspirational. I'm a new quilter and looking around for good pricing on the queen supreme slider and machingers. Will your queen supreme kit be part of your spring sale?

  4. Hi DrMary - Yep! All kits will be on sale so the Ultimate Kit and the Queen Supreme Kit will both be on sale starting April 20th.



  5. I love how doing something we love can bring us pain because it can also bring us healing. The pain was there from years ago, but never healed properly. Now it resurfaces, is exposed again, and hurts again. But now it can heal properly. I probably need to go sew now!


Related Posts with Thumbnails