The Free Motion Quilting Project: Videocast #10 - Dolls and Designs

Friday, May 6, 2011

Videocast #10 - Dolls and Designs

Finally! It's the end of the week, my sunburn has almost fully healed, and the weather is getting better and better. Let's catch up on all that's happened this week on the project:


It's been a really good week playing with new designs and putting my Ample Annie doll together. Working on her has been fun, and I've been trying to figure out how I'm going to dress her.

Josh was really disturbed by her head, which was designed to be much smaller in proportion to her body. I didn't like how small it was and ripped it open and added a back to it to make it a bit bigger.

It's still pretty small, but I think with a big enough head of hair, I can make it more proportional.

This week I also played with 2 new designs: Ball Bearings and Eyeballs, both fun Intermediate level designs that will look great in the medium sized areas of your quilts.

And I shared a short article on Hanging Your Quilt so you can better see the free motion quilting design within the piecing or applique.

In the video Hot Cast is still hanging on the wall. I've pretty much figured out what I'm going to do now, but until the tables are clear downstairs, she will have to wait her turn.

So what am I working on downstairs? I'm starching, ironing and cutting the pieces to two new quilts!

One is a surprise that I can't tell you about yet, but the other is the quilt I'll be stitching on in a new DVD coming out this summer! Since I created From Daisy to Paisley and created a corresponding DVD, I figure I should do the same with my next Intermediate level book, From Feathers to Flames.

Unlike my other DVDs, this time I'm going to be filling an actual quilt! This way you can see how Edge to Edge and Edge to Center designs really work in the sashing, and see what happens when you combine different fillers together.

I really want to get both quilts ready for quilting so I can work on them this month. I'm in the mood to quilt!

Finally, don't miss tomorrow's post on T-Shirt quilts from guest blogger Nicki! She's put together an awesome article that's sure to inspire you to cut up your t-shirts and start quilting them with different designs.

Let's go quilt,

Leah Day

8 comments:

  1. I loooved the finish of your video:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Leah, Yesterday while hopping around the blog tour for the new 100 quilt blocks magazine one of the designers mentioned that she used/uses your filler designs and put a link to your page! How cool is that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome Debbie! Do you know which one it was? Shoot me the link if you can!

    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your son is so adorable at the end of your videocast #10! That was a perfect ending. I always enjoy your blogs and videos and I hope to be as confident in my quilting as you are.... some day I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tshirt quilts are great...here is a great PDF on creating t-shirt quilts: http://usaapp.husqvarnaviking.com/education/pdf/2907.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops wrong link in my last post, it should be this one. Sorry!
    http://usaapp.husqvarnaviking.com/education/pdf/2902.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your son is so cute. He is certainly not camera shy. There is a hat behind you in your video. It is at the perfect height and looks like you are wearing it. That gave me the thought to suggest that you make a BIG hat for your doll to wear. Big hair and big hat will make her look more proportional. Too big, and her head will look smaller. I am looking forward to your next book and video "From Flowers to Flamne". Just take your time with it and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Roberta - That was Josh's idea of the funniest joke - position the camera just right so the hat looks weird behind me. I didn't see it until I was downstairs editing, which is far to late to complain. Silly man...

    I'm on the last chapter of the book! It's been a great writing week getting over this sunburn.

    Cheers,

    Leah

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails