Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day!

I hope all fathers have a great day today! Here's a shot of my Daddy with James when he was just a few weeks old:

I've always loved this picture because they're wearing the exact same expression, complete with head tilt!

Father's Day always makes me remember a quote from a movie called Smoke Signals about forgiving our fathers. One of these days I'm going to make a quilt and these words will go on the back:

How do we forgive our fathers?

...maybe in a dream...

Do we forgive our fathers for leaving us too often,

or forever when we were little?

Maybe for scaring us with unexpected rage...

or making us nervous because there never seemed to be any rage there at all?

Do we forgive our fathers for marrying or not marrying our mothers...

or divorcing or not divorcing our mothers?

And shall we forgive them for their excesses of warmth or coldness?

Shall we forgive them for pushing or leaning...

for shutting doors...for speaking through walls...

or never speaking or never being silent?

Do we forgive our fathers in our age or in theirs?

Or in their deaths saying it to them or not saying it.

If we forgive our fathers what is left?

If we forgive our fathers what else is there?
Have a great day guys!

Leah

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for reminding me of this passage from that wonderful film!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never saw that movie so maybe I'm completely out of context, but forgiveness is essential for self-healing. Even as crappy as my parents are, I always forgive them. I forgive so that I myself can heal and may be forgiven of my own transgressions.

    We emailed a little earlier and I couldn't quite explain why I still let my abusive, demeaning parents around my family. How they were going to be around more that my brother moved in. I had to forgive my parents for being humans, because I myself make mistakes and also have a selfish human nature. Granted, their mistakes could have cost my life many times over and they choose to destroy instead of build a child(ren).

    Just because I forgive them. My parents need not know about it or even be part of my life which by the way they are currently less involved since they are back to their old tricks. Can't have that around my kids.

    Forgiveness is not forgeting. Forgiveness is getting over and going past it. Christ died to wipe the slate clean for us. All I have to do is love Christ, and love others and forgive those who transgress against me. Seems pretty simple to me.

    Check out this documentary -> Forgiving Dr. Mengele.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny - Definitely watch the movie and see this section that the quote is taken from. It's very powerful and isn't about questioning forgiveness, but seeking it.

    Cheers,

    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Years ago I played and replayed the ending of the move so I could accurately write down this passage. Thank you for sharing it! It reminds me that as humans, we a often not satisfied with what we have and who we are and are less than tolerant of our parents quirks and foibles. May my grown children be more forgiving. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forgiving gave me an positive new life....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitley spoke to me with that one. I have had a love hate relationship with my parents forever.

    glen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails