The Free Motion Quilting Project: My Red Obsession

Sunday, September 18, 2011

My Red Obsession

I think it's high time I shared a not-so-secret secret. I'm absolutely obsessed with the color red.

But it's really not just any old color red. I'm not a huge fan of fire engine red (too loud), and I walk away from pink, obviously because it's NOT red (no, not even hot pink).

It's that darker red somewhere between burgundy and crayon standard red....

Somewhere like right here:

free motion quilting | Leah DayYes this is a Miche bag, though it's really pointless to be able to change out the shells (outer covering) so easily. I just keep the red one on all the time since it matches so nicely with my red shoes!

And the laptop and case (though the case is a bit too fire engine red for my taste):

free motion quilting | Leah DayFor my birthday coming up next month Josh ordered me a new game boy and didn't even have to ask the color:

free motion quilting | Leah DayAnd of course this is my favorite fabric:

free motion quilting | Leah DayI only have around 5 yards of this left and I'm going to cry my eyes out when it's all gone.

For reference this is Timeless Treasures extra wide 108" Tonga batiks and once upon a time (2 years ago) they made these spray washes of solid colors. I believe this was called Claret, but I can't quite remember. All I know is I WANT MORE OF THIS FABRIC AND WILL PAY ANY PRICE!!!

(yep, I screamed that. Red obsession really can drive you over the edge.)

Since we're in the sewing room, then you already know the color of my main sewing machine:

free motion quilting | Leah DayAnd since it comes up every time I show pics of the machine, YES! I'm still in love with my Janome Horizon!

Last week we expanded the red collection to include this awesome red truck!

free motion quilting | Leah DayThis is a quite beat up 1990 Nissan pickup that has been around the block and back. All I care is that it works, it gets me from A to B, and it will allow me to buy furniture without calling a friend to haul it home!

Of course, being obsessed with red might make you think that red belongs absolutely everywhere.

It doesn't.

It especially does not belong on the floor as carpet where it shows EVERY speck of dirt in the world:

free motion quilting | Leah DayI've been wanting to rip out this carpet since the day we moved in, but since it's the 1980's wall-to-wall style and covers nearly every square foot of the upstairs of the house and will require moving 2 large fish tanks to replace, I've just decided to make my peace and live with it a bit longer.

So that's it for my red obsession. It is my absolute favorite color and just makes me feel good when I look at it.

Wait! One last red thing! My Sun and Feathers jacket is also red:

free motion quilting | Leah DayApparently I'm not the only one that likes it because it's heading to MQX West next week! Cross your fingers it makes a safe trip there and back again!

Let's go quilt (preferably something red),



  1. Red is my signature color also. I am thrilled with my Horizon also. Janome really got just about everything right on this home machine. My only complaint is the knee lift is too far from my knee but I padded it out with Styrofoam blocks.

  2. Must be something about us "red" girls and creativity.. each fall I get a new purse.. RED.. binder, RED, nail polish. red...


  3. Yup - deep reds are big with me, too. My last car was red. When I bought a new one, the model I got didn't come in red. Damn.
    We have a bunch of large red Bokara and other such rugs as well - almost all are red. My red stash is my largest. I am with you - not too fond of pink (or any pastel for the most part).

  4. What a lovely obsession - I agree about the carpet - do you have to wear sunglasses when you go upstairs! - BrisChris (from Oz)

  5. How fun! I have he same computer, a red DS and I used to own a red Ford Ranger. Yay red!

  6. Omg, I am thrilled to read about your red obsession, Leah! A friend and I *love, love, love* the color and quite simply, cannot get enough of it! In addition to my beloved red Janome Horizon, I have 2 vintage Berninas: the red-cased 830 and the red/white Nova 900. As for fabric, such thing as too much red ;)

  7. Well...that is very good news as I appliqued a red flower to send to you this weekend.

  8. Yep! I've been carrying red purses for years now and whenever I do my nails - red!

  9. Well, interesting! I feel a lot better now. My issue is that I dress like a quilt. You can see the post on my blog for more. Some of the garments even have red! Fun post.

  10. G'day. I too like red, though to be honest at the moment I am a pink girl. The red of the handbag in the first pic, is the colour of our new lounge suite, which should be on it's way to us in another five or six weeks. . I have a couple of pairs of red shoes and a red handbag or two as well. My favourite red item is a large enamel jug, it looks fabulous on the table with flowers in it. Take care. Liz...

  11. We had red shag carpet in the family room growing up. Mom says the house got a lot QUIETER when they ripped it out and installed hardwood flooring. Go figure.

    Love your blog!

  12. I like your work, they are beautiful.
    I congratulate them
    happy weekend


Related Posts with Thumbnails