I really wish I could try a new technique: quilting new designs, making a goddess quilt, or dyeing fabric, and NOT turn it into an overwhelming mess, but it seems this is just what I'm good at doing:
Each color was mixed and dyed a single fat quarter, leaving a good amount of dye left over. Sooo...
I had to try another experiment! This time I added 15 ml of black dye to each color and dyed 20 fat eights. Both fabrics together create quite a range of colors:
And what you see about piled around the sink? That's yet another experiment! This time I started with the dye color, plus 15 ml of black, plus 40 ml of water, hopefully creating a diluted version of the last experiment. All of those colors have now been rinsed and are drying.
Unfortunately, didn't quite calculate how much space was needed for drying this much fabric:
I figure once I find this red in cotton fabric, then it will be time to duplicate it in wool roving. Dyeing wool is a slightly different experience, as it requires a crock pot and citric acid and a lot more time.
So here's a sum up of what I've learned from this weekend's excessive dyeing experiment:
1. Start with 5 colors to play with. At max, play with 10.
2. Plan ahead on how many experiments will be done and how much dye will need to be mixed so none is wasted.
3. Take time to label the fabric ahead of time. Had the fabrics been labeled properly, I wouldn't have to bother with drying on the tables, I could just throw it all into the washer and dryer which would have been much more efficient.
4. Keep the scale of the experiments limited to two days. Any more, and you risk irritating everyone in the house.
5. Be aware that dyeing fabric is extremely addictive!
Whew! I certainly didn't expect dyeing to be so labor-intensive. I'm off to veg on the couch to hand stitch binding and figure out what I'm going to do with all this dyed fabric.
Let's go quilt,