I'm definitely on a roll with big projects this month! After more than 2 years needing to be made, and 1 year floating around unfinished in the sewing room, the KING quilt is finally finished!
Quilt As You Go technique we learned back on week #7. 9 panels were each quilted separately, then connected using binding strips to create this monstrous 117 x 117 inch quilt.
I choose a wide variety of designs just to see how they would stitch out on such a large scale. Overall the circular, stacking designs were the most time consuming and the Independent, Stippling based designs were the fastest.
Rather than sit with this monster on my lap for the next week to hand bind the folded binding strips, I instead choose to secure all the binding by machine. I simply folded over the binding strip and stitched very carefully about 1/16th from the edge, then repeated that stitching again on the opposite side so the binding looked uniform.
One thing I can definitely say about this project is how surprisingly huge it finished. It turns out the quilt didn't need to be this big. As you can see from the photo of it on the bed, even tucked over the pillows, at least 20 inches hangs off both sides and the end!
Dealing with a big quilt also has a learning curve. To remove the starch from the fabric, I soaked it in the bathtub, squeezed as much water out as possible, then threw it in the dryer. It proceeded to roll itself into a tight ball, refused to get dry, and instead sprayed half a gallon of water on the basement floor.
It was kind of surprising it didn't destroy my dryer completely! I finally realized it just had way too much water still in it and threw it in the washer. After 3 spin cycles, I threw it back in the dryer and after 2 60 minute sessions, it was finally dry. With all this difficulty, I definitely don't plan to wash this quilt a home ever again!
So that's one massive check on my vacation To-Do list! The KING quilt is finished, so it's time to get cracking on some of these other projects floating around the sewing room. The next focus is to get my two UFO goddesses finished and another 2 designed on paper.
If I want to get all this done by June, I'd better shut up and go quilt!