The Free Motion Quilting Project: Sundays: New UFO Day!

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sundays: New UFO Day!

Have you ever created a written record of all your UFOs?  Actually made a list of ALL of them, and what is required to turn them into a finished quilt, bag, placemat, etc?

I recently did this and it was a humbling experience.  Page after page of unfinished projects, many for this blog, but many more for myself, family, and friends.

For myself, I'd really like to finish this quilt of all 365 squares from the original project:

free motion quilting | Leah Day

Also these goddess faces that didn't work for Power of Now could easily be made into a tote bag:

free motion quilting | Leah Day

And there's all these unfinished quilt tops, neatly folded in plastic bins just waiting to be basted and quilted...

free motion quilting | Leah Day

So how about it?  Shall we make a date - just ONE DAY out of the week to work on our UFO projects?

Not only will this keep us all on track for getting projects completed, it's also a terrific way to make gift quilts for the holidays.

Rather than start all new projects from scratch, start pulling out those old tops and figure out which ones can be quickly completed to create a wonderful gift for someone you love!

Best of all, we're going to link up with this new series, so if you have a quilt top that's been in the closet for years because you just don't know how to quilt it, get a photo of that troublesome top online and link it up on these posts to get some advice!

On Sunday's we'll link up with any progress we've made on our UFOs or a photo of a UFO quilt you just don't know how to finish.

On Mondays, I'll post again with tips and advice to help you bust through the roadblocks stopping you from finishing those quilts!

Remember, this is just 1 day out of the week.  Pick a project you can pull out quickly, then find a bin or drawer you can stuff it into after your UFO day is done. So every Sunday from here on out the Free Motion Quilting Project is going to be UFO central - whatever you got, pull it out cause it's time to finish it.

See ya next week with some UFOs in tow!

Leah

25 comments:

  1. love this idea! Much less threatening than trying to tackle it all at once, aand getting discouraged!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea! I get so overwhelmed when I try to confront these UFOs. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a very good idea. Next week I will look and clean in the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great motivation! I was already thinking about my UFOs, and poof, you post a challenge (accepted!) Off to make my list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I only have (seriously) about 25 quilt tops that need to be quilted. This sounds perfect to me... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like fun! I've got at least 8 to 10 projects to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just recently (past two weeks) made a list of my ufo's and it is humbling and it also showed me I am very ADD when it comes to projects. I am on a mission to get all finished or given away if I just cant or dont want it anymore. Thanks for doing this, it is great inspiration to get these done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds great! I have 3 and 2 I really want to get done before Christmas. :) I'll be needing just a tad more fabric though! I think that's why I stopped, I ran out of background fabric:/

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a little scary. But shouldn't be too bad to find them all, since they are in the same place. Does this mean I can't start new projects? :O)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful idea Leah. You should call this "Motivation-Central."

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fantastic idea Leah. But, it should be called, "UFOMO" or "Unfinished Objects Moving Out." Jeani

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it is a great idea to step back and take stock, and wonderful to think creatively about how to 'repurpose' test blocks, experiments, class projects, salvagable partially completed tops, etc. In fact, this is a good idea in many contexts. For example, the biomedical arena is currently in love with the idea of 'repositioning' drugs -- taking old drugs and finding new uses. On the quilt side, I've done the same with some small things that then got sold in a charity art show and silent auction (see http://susieturn.blogspot.com/2012/08/art-bits.html for examples). Win for me, win for the charity.

    On the other hand, I do not feel compelled to re-purpose everything. Let's face it, we've all started some things that were a mistake from the beginning, are just going nowhere, and do not deserve any more of our valuable time. These UFO's should have the good grace to simply disappear, completely guilt-free, and let us move on to new, and better fabric relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea. I have several hanging in my wardrobe just waiting to be quilted.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea - I started a list on my blog a few years ago and have made pitiful progress on them. This just might be the kick in the butt I need! In fact, I pulled out one today that I was nearly finished quilting, and now I've got about 15 minutes left to go on it. It would be finished, but my bobbin ran out, and it was dinner time. I just might head back down there tonight...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I did something similar to this with my garment fabric the other day (http://mymessings.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/whats-next.html) and it's really helped, I've already made one new garment and cut out three ready to sew together. It really helped with my motivation.

    I don't have very many WIPs/UFOs of quilts so don't plan on doing the same for my quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Count me in, I have way too much stuff left unfinished, and I even stopped (temporarily) blogging about my WIPs because the list was getting too long and there was just no movement on it!

    Claire from Http://handmadebyclairebear.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a great idea.. it has been my new years resolution this year to tackle all of the unfinished projects that I have been working on.. I have learned a lot this year and I have been doing UFO's all year.. (I have also done some new projects)...but I am still making progress.. I probably will not be finished but some is better than none!I will continue to follow along with your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great idea. How funny, that's exactly where I am at...so, a week ago I pulled out this UFO of English paper piecing that I had started about a year ago (or was it the year before that) and continued with it. No idea how to quilt that....will be good to get some advice on that.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I made this my goal at the begining of the year, to finish 20 UFO's, I have 11 to go. The 11 one is almost done only have to sew down the binding. Maybe with your help I will be able to get all 20 done by Jan. 1st. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This last week I have been whipping out quilt tops which I have been wanting to make for quite some time.
    This just seems to be perfect.

    Leah, thanks a bunch! You always seem to know what we need ;).

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm sorry I can't think about UFOs after being blown away by your fabric stash all hung up on hangers and color coordinated, WOW!!!
    Have a great day.
    Always, Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have absolutely no UFO's (yet...) from anything but I have been saving up my scraps so perhaps I will start a "Sunday Scrap" Quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Christina Flowers--I think once you have two scraps sewn together, it's officially a UFO!! : D

    Anyway, I just wanted to say I am happy about the UFO group as I have several around my sewing room, and why not share progress, stories and ideas?

    I have a UFO question--if you say that you finished piecing a top, do you usually mean the top with borders (if any--I mean, it's all ready for quilting)? I feel like the stage where the main top (without borders) is complete is significant enough to have a name, but I don't know what it is or should be!

    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm in! I'm new to this blogging thing so I'll do my best to keep up!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Does UFO also mean unstarted items that I have bought fabric for and never got round to cutting out?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails