The Free Motion Quilting Project: Quilt Along #38 - Lost Data

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Quilt Along #38 - Lost Data

It's Quilt Along time and high time I finally let loose a great big YAHOO! because my Craftsy class is finally available!


My class is Free Motion Quilting a Sampler and I'm basically teaching you how to quilt fillers over Amy Gibson's Block of the Month quilt! You can check out the class right here and see both pictures and a few short videos of the project.

I really hope to see you in class! I know we have a wonderful interaction here on the blog and on YouTube, but honestly Craftsy has built a platform that is out-of-this-world for learning new techniques for any kind of craft. Interacting with you, from a teachers perspective, is just so much easier, so I know it's going to be a wonderful place to teach even more information about free motion quilting.

If you'd like to learn more about this new class, click here to watch a preview and a get a 50% discount off the regular price!

Now let's get going on a new design for this week.  This month we've studied Edge to Edge designs and many variations on the same Flowing Lines theme. Here's a quick review of each design:

free motion quilting | Leah Day

free motion quilting | Leah Day

free motion quilting | Leah Day

It's been wonderfully fun to focus on this group of designs, but this is the last week of October so it's time to finish up with one last variation, this time combining Jagged Lines with Zippling to form Lost Data:

free motion quilting | Leah Day

Funny story about the video below - I asked Josh to edit a list of videos the other day. He worked on them for a few hours and said "I got them all done except the one with lost data."  Oops! I do believe that's the first time a design name has gotten me in trouble!


Difficulty Level - Intermediate.

Design Family - Edge to Edge.

In this video I'm using Machingers Gloves, Magic Bobbin Washers, and a Queen Supreme Slider to make free motion quilting the big Batik Beauty quilt much easier on my home sewing machine.

Even with as long as I've been quilting, I still rely on these tools to make the quilt easier to move, to keep the bobbin gliding smoothly, and to maintain more control over the movement of the quilt.

Find these three tools in the Queen Supreme Kit right here in our Quilt Shop.

Now this is the last week of October, the last day actually, so I hope you all have a fun and safe Halloween. Next month we're going to focus not on a family of designs, but on ways to break up and knock out quilts quickly.


At the end of this particular video, the Batik Beauty quilt was less than 1/2 filled and I was feeling eager to knock it out quickly. After quilting out all of November's designs, the quilt only had a few small places to fill, so the designs we'll learn in the coming weeks will hopefully fill spaces very fast, very simply, but still with amazing texture and design.


Instructions for Linking Up Your Blog:

1. Write your blog post. Publish it on your blog.

2. Copy the link of the specific blog post. This is not just the link to your blog itself (www.freemotionquilting.blogspot.com), but the link to the specific post: http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/2012/01/quilt-along-2-quilting-in-rows.html

3. Click the blue link up button above and paste your link into the box.

Keep in mind that you're posting your progress from LAST week on THIS week's post. This way you have time to watch the lesson, play with the ideas, then post your progress to the next quilt along. I hope that makes sense!

Also it's not required, but highly appreciated and super cool to link back the Free Motion Quilt Along so everyone you know can come quilt with us too.  Grab a button to put in your post or on your blog to share the love!

Free Motion Quilt Along
Let's go quilt!

Leah Day

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations Leah! Well deserved recognition for the great tips, tricks, skills and advice you've been sharing for years!

    Hooray for You !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! The preview looks very promising!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo! I just purchased your Crafty class. I can't wait to watch it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! I look forward to signing up to the class and working on my BOM quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HURRAY! I just signed-up for your craftsy class. Can't wait to watch your video.

    Also just last night I worked on the April English paper piecing block. So, it would be fun to see your suggestion.

    Congratulations on the Craftsy class :-)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got the Craftsy email this morning promoting your class and I was like, "Oh my gosh she's a quilting superstar!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just watched the video. Your chicken is trying to steal you thunder, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. AWESOME! 50% off your class...I am so psyched! Thanks again, and I was so glad to see your class showing up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how cool. I'm waiting for tomorrow to see how my block of the month quilt with Amy Gibson will go together and now my favorite free motion teacher has a class for quilting it. I'm feeling so energized to get this going. Congrats on the Craftsy class.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so talented! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations, Leah! I'm all signed up for your Craftsy class. Looking forward to working through a project with you and all the other students. Of course, I'll still be back here regularly as well. Thanks (again and again!) for all of the work you've done to help us learn / better skills in FMQ!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Leah, you make it all look so easy, then I get to my machine and it ain't so!
    You are great, love all your lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just signed up for your Craftsy class. Thanks for the link to the discount, that was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails