Wednesday, December 26, 2012

2012 Quilt Along Recap

Yay! It's the last Quilt Along link up of the year!

We've had a wonderful year linking up and sharing free motion quilting triumphs and tribulations, working through projects big and small, and sorting out everything from a puckering quilt top to a ugly stitches.

I consider the Free Motion Quilt Along to be a wonderful success because not only have you guys learned a whole lot, I've learned loads about teaching on video and sharing more effectively here online.

In case you'd like to see a "before" and "after" for me, all you have to look at is this video from last year:

Now compare that video to this one:


So we've all learned a lot and grown this year as quilters! Now let's link up and see some "before" and "after" shots from everyone that has quilted along this year:

Now you might be wondering what is to come in 2013. Rest assured, you will still find a wonderful place to link up and share your quilting progress here each week.

But a few things will change:

- Free Motion Quilt Along will now be linking up on Fridays to become Free Motion Quilting Friday (FMQF).

- We're no longer going to stick to a lesson format. On Fridays, I'd like you to link up with ANYTHING you have free motion quilted in the past week. I'm hoping many more quilters will jump into sharing, even longarmers because we would all enjoy seeing a lot more quilting in real quilts!

- The last point rolls nicely into this one - we will be having many more videos! I want to branch out with a lot more techniques and fun new designs and these will be posted a lot more often during the week.

I'm wanting to free myself from the stress of being a perfect teacher (impossible goal anyway), and instead move into the role of mad quilting scientist - I want to experiment with weird materials, paints, dye, multiple fibers, and of course, loads of new designs.

In fact, I think it's high time I set a new design goal to work towards here on the Free Motion Quilting Project. How about 1000?  It might take 5 years, it might take 10, but one day we will reach 1000 designs!

So understand that I don't expect you to follow along perfectly with me in 2013. I want you to try out designs and techniques as YOU see fit, as it works with your life and the quilts you're working through.

During this process, I'm going to be working on Express Your Love, a beautiful goddess quilt that is hopefully going to combine my love for teaching, self improvement, and experimental quilting all at the same time.

free motion quilting | Leah Day

This is going to be a wonderful year of learning, sharing, and exploring the wonderful world of quilting! I can't wait to get started!

But we still have a few more days of this year to go, and this is always my favorite time to work through a big project. I'm off to finish outlining Duchess Reigns and I'll see you again on UFO Sunday!

Let's go quilt,

Leah Day

8 comments:

  1. The beset is yet to come. Looking for to a FMQ 2013!
    Have a great day.
    Always, Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very excited with your linkup format for the coming year. I started out with your quilt-alongs on Wednesday and thanks to you have grown so much in my FMQ this past year. It will be fun to link up and share my original projects. Thanks for helping me unleash my creativity!

    --Christa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Leah - I am new to following you on the FMQP. I hope to someday catch up on all that you have shared. Found you through your Craftsy class (which I just finished watching and loved). Thanks for all that you do for us! I do not have a blog myself, but love to see all that "link" up with you each week. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Leah. My first post. I have been inspired and my confidence has grown.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leah -
    Thank you so much for the FMQ Wednesdays this year. I have learned so much and can now quilt whole quilts on my domestic machine. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

    I'm not linking up as I'm not close to photos. I am looking forward to FMQ 2013 though!

    ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hei!
    Eg har fulgt og lært masse av deg i 2012,men ikke sendt inn bilde av det eg har prøvd meg på!Har Janome 7700 som du,men ikke senka undertransportør,og ingen innstillinger av trådspenningen som du syr med,går dårlig,ser ikke ut på baksiden.Eg har funne ut av innstillingene nå som eg kan godta på baksiden av arbeidet.med min lite trening i frihåndsquilting.Her er det trening og øvelser som gjør mester!Det bildet med bakker/tre var nydelig,som eg nok vil prøve meg på,kan bli et fint kort osv.Ha et flott 2013 år!Beste hilsen Quiltegleder Margrethe,Lofthus i Hardanger

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have taught us so much in this past year! I really enjoy going back and watching your videos over and over. I am so glad your going to continue your quilt alongs. You have gotten better at the software you use and making/editing your videos! Please let us see as you progress with Duchess Reigns and look forward to your new project! You have taught this old bird a lot of new tricks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am still trying to catch up with all if your wonderful videos. But I will be ready to start FMQ 2013 with you

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails