The Free Motion Quilting Project: 64. Learn how to quilt Lotus Ripple, #409

Thursday, October 10, 2013

64. Learn how to quilt Lotus Ripple, #409

Let's go quilt! Today I'm playing with a very subtle variation of Feather Fans. You really can change a very small aspect of a design, like how the echoes work, or how the thread builds up in certain areas, and you'll find a totally different design. This variation is called Lotus Ripple:

free motion quilting | Leah Day

This might feel a bit easier to stitch because the echo is just a smooth line around the feather shapes. However, because I've quilted Feather Fans so many times, I kept wanting to bounce between the feathers and had to concentrate to stop making that movement. Free motion is a pretty muscular and habit forming skill so if you only ever echo one way, you might find it hard to break that habit!

See what I mean in this free video:


Just for quick reference, I think this design will look terrific in the background of any quilt:

free motion quilting | Leah Day

So that's it for today! Go quilt something slightly different from usual and see what happens. It's always nice to change things up a bit and try something new.

Let's go quilt,

Leah Day

4 comments:

  1. Just found you via Stitch This. I'm looking forward to learning new things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this one- very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I really love these Lotus Ripple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter who is 6 also likes this design. She made sure that I told you this ;).

    This also reminds me of Swirling Petals.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails