The Free Motion Quilting Project: FMQ Friday

Friday, October 11, 2013

FMQ Friday

What a wonderful week! In the last five  days I've made fun progress on many projects and enjoyed two days with James while he's out of school for fall break. Yesterday I gave a new form of binding a try (with a super helpful boy at my side):

free motion quilting | Leah Day

This is mitered facing, a way to bind a quilt that pulls the raw edges to the back rather than conceals them with binding right on the edge. I learned it from Susan Brubaker Knapp's free instructions right here.

Of course, I thought I new better and decided to double the facing and fold it over. Bad idea Leah! This ended up making the facing especially thick and bulky at the corners, exactly where you don't want that to happen:

free motion quilting | Leah Day

So next time I try this, I will do it by the letter and follow the instructions exactly! During the week we also learned two fun designs:

free motion quilting | Leah Day

Split Paisley is a super simple variation of Paisley and the splitting wiggly line is giving me a lot of ideas about other ways I can change up this design even more.

free motion quilting | Leah Day

Lotus Ripple is also a variation of a previous design, this time Feather Fans. Both are super fun designs based on echoing around three clustered feather shapes.

Both of these designs worked great in the background of Express Your Love. I just wiggled them in and around the breath shapes and let the echoes do most of the work filling the odd areas. See if you can find these designs in this full sized image of the whole quilt:

free motion quilting | Leah Day

So that's what I've been working on! What have you tackled this week?

Simple rules for the FMQ Friday link up:

1. Link up with a post that features something about Free Motion Quilting (FMQ).
2. Somewhere in your post, you must link back here, or you can just post the FMQF button in your sidebar.
3. Comment on at least a few of the other FMQF links. Share your love of free motion quilting and make this weekly link up a fun way to connect.


Let's go quilt,

Leah Day

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the facing method. I will have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah, this is the facing method I started using recently. I am really, really struggling when it comes to stitching the mitered seam. I just can't seem to fold the quilt in such a way that I can get access to the seam with my machine and not catch the quilt. I have resorted to hand sewing the seam. If you have any tips for sewing the mitered seam, please share in a video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOLA, COMO STAS... INTERESANTE TU BLOG, ME ENCANTO..¡ TE FELICITO.
    AHORA TE SIGO, TE INVITO A QUE ME VISITES Y VEAS LO QUE YO HAGO, SERAS BIENVENIDA SIEMPRE..
    BESOS, ABRAZOS Y BENDICIONES.
    ZHOBEYDA.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails