The Free Motion Quilting Project: FMQ Friday

Friday, October 18, 2013

FMQ Friday

It's Friday and time to link up and share our quilting! This week we learned two fun designs:

free motion quilting | Leah Day

Underwater Rocks is my new absolute favorite design, and with over 400 designs under my belt, that's really saying something! I just love the organic, free stitching in this design. It was truly relaxing to stitch!

free motion quilting | Leah Day

We've also learned Oblivion, which should probably win an award for complexity! Designs like this make me want to draw more and fill pages with crazy combinations of shapes and symbols.

In my studio today I'm wrapping up my many versions of Express Your Love. I finally mastered that mitered faced binding and got 4 corners to turn out acceptably crisp:


The solution to this? Actually follow the directions! Susan Brubaker Knapp has written directions right here with photos that are super clear and detailed.

Just follow them! Don't argue with them, don't think you know better, just do it the way it's taught! (Yep, I'm  yelling at myself here since I so often want to fiddle with directions and wonder why I have crazy results).

Josh has also been busy on the sewing machine and I'm so proud of his first blocks:


This is what you can realistically expect if you are just sitting down to the sewing machine today and you've never quilted in free motion before. It's not perfect, but do understand that this quilting is perfectly fine. It's fulfilling the needs of the quilt by holding the layers together securely. That's the ultimate point of quilting!

So even if your lines of quilting aren't perfect, even if the stitches aren't all the same size, even if they're a bit jerky and clumsy - it's still going to be a great quilt! So don't judge your stitches, don't be ashamed, and don't make it harder than it has to be. Just keep quilting!

Now it's your turn! What have you been quilting this week?

Simple rules for the FMQ Friday link up:

1. Link up with a post that features something about Free Motion Quilting (FMQ).
2. Somewhere in your post, you must link back here, or you can just post the FMQF button in your sidebar.
3. Comment on at least a few of the other FMQF links. Share your love of free motion quilting and make this weekly link up a fun way to connect.


Let's go quilt,

Leah Day

2 comments:

  1. loved the designs this week, and your advice in following THE directions! lol
    blessings, and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of these days I will have some FMQ to share--meanwhile I watch your videos and a Craftsy class and enjoy the spectator sport aspect of it. :-)

    I really appreciate your attitude that little "slips" are okay.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails