The Free Motion Quilting Project: FMQ Friday

Friday, November 22, 2013

FMQ Friday

It's Friday and I'm quilting! I've pulled out Duchess Reigns and I got a curled feather and bit of background filled this morning:

free motion quilting | Leah Day

I'm glad I took a break on this quilt back in September. Coming back to it now, my attitude is totally different and rather than rushing, I'm learning how to enjoy this time consuming process. It's slow, and slightly boring to fill the same designs over and over, but it was really nice to have a project I could pull out and free motion quilt for an hour without a lot of fuss and prep.

Also on the machine today is a test block for next year:

free motion quilting | Leah Day

I'm not leaving anything to chance in planning for our quilt along next year! This t-shirt block came out exactly how I planned in the piecing, but the quilting feels a little dense. I can easily open this up a bit without changing the general effect of the design, which I think is looking pretty cool!

My goal is for these blocks to be simple to piece AND simple to quilt, and sometimes I'm my own worst enemy. I keep reminding myself what the Barefoot Contessa, Ina Garten advises about cooking a meal for lots of guests: "How can I simplify this?"

I'm lucky Josh started quilting this fall because I'm continually turning to him and asking "Is this too complicated?" and usually, if I'm asking, it means that yes, I need to simplify!

So that is what I've quilted today. What have you been working on? Link up your free motion quilting progress and share what's on your machine today!

Simple rules for the FMQ Friday link up:

1. Link up with a post that features something about Free Motion Quilting (FMQ).
2. Somewhere in your post, you must link back here, or you can just post the FMQF button in your sidebar.
3. Comment on at least a few of the other FMQF links. Share your love of free motion quilting and make this weekly link up a fun way to connect.


Let's go quilt,

Leah Day

2 comments:

  1. So glad to see Duchess Reigns back on the machine...that quilt is GORGEOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like an interesting project you're planning for us. The Duchess is so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails