The Free Motion Quilting Project: Snow Day!

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Snow Day!

It's been awhile since I had a free Wednesday to post about what I'm really working on. Since the turn of the year Josh and I have been running full tilt to keep up with the Building Blocks Quilt Along, but I have managed to squeeze in work on some other projects.

One big project on my agenda is finishing our master bathroom. Back in December we had to fire our worthless contractor, tear out the terrible tile job he'd done, build wall back in, and lay new tile.

free motion quilting | Leah Day

I do love this bathroom immensely now, but this was without a doubt the biggest tile job I've ever done in my life. It was also really distracting to come upstairs from the office after lots of work online just to find this project waiting for me.

At this point I only need to paint the window, hang the blind, and my dad is coming this weekend to help hang crown molding around the ceiling. By Sunday evening, I'll be able to scratch this project firmly and finally off my list!

One side effect from working on this bathroom project is Josh and I have finally realized that our house is just not big enough for our family and our growing business. I've planned out renovation after renovation, but at some point I've finally stopped and realized that it would be far easier to build a new house than keep trying to fiddle with the one we have now.

free motion quilting | Leah Day
So we've been land shopping too! Josh and I are planning to buy a small piece of land in Gastonia, NC and build a house in the next few years.

The great news is we found the perfect spot! The bad news is, it has a drainage easement. I'm still trying to figure out what that means and if this is the right place for us or not. I tend to get emotional about this kind of thing, so I'm trying hard to keep my cool and look at the land from all perspectives.

But today I'm not even trying to get a lot done because James is out of school and literally bouncing off the walls because it's a SNOW DAY!

free motion quilting | Leah Day

Yes, in my area of NC, a light dusting of snow is enough to close the schools and empty the grocery stores of bread and milk. It's super silly, but after living here my whole life, I really can't imagine it any other way.

So I'm off to make hot chocolate and warm up before we head back outside to go sledding again!

Let's go have some fun!

Leah

11 comments:

  1. What s lovely bathroom! Enjoy playing in the snow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are all shut down here in Georgia too. I have a big mug of coffee,and my sewing machine in front of me. It's the best!

    Your bathroom looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leah,
    I asked my hubby about that drainage easement. He said that it would mean you can not stop any neighbors from having their properties drain onto yours. Now if you are high and dry with a ravine at the back it wouldn't become an issue but it would be good to have someone take a look at it that knows about that sort of thing. But, if this one doesn't work out there's a better one around the corner!
    Luann

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a flash shower!! Super posh! And I love that shelf to put shampoos and stuff on - genius! You'll have to live there a couple more years at least, so that you can enjoy that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Snow - how fun! Enjoy the day with your boy. If it's below freezing, try blowing bubbles and see what happens. It's a pretty cool (pardon the pun) acience experiment...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I an so impressed with how you fixed the bathroom. What a horror it was. Congrats!

    And now to burst that bubble. I agree with Luann's hubby. You DO NOT want land with a drainage easement. Even if its crystal clear rain water, you do not want to be the path of someone else's drainage. And they can divert from all over their property to you, not just what is naturally there. Do not be fooled. Having served on zoning boards in rural areas, you cannot undo what is done in 99.9% of these arrangements. There is something better around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found this on drainage easement

    http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-drainage-easement.htm

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awe! Fun, fun, fun! Congrats on so many levels! Thanks for sharing your craft and your life! You have touches and inspired so many!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm absolutely jealous of your living in Gastonia. My BFF lives 1.5 blocks from MJs and I have not had a fix in years. We used to live in Salisbury. I hope you ind just the right piece of land for your new home. Your redo on the bathroom is very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh! Gastonia! I have my little 1952 Singer 228 out doing some projects and it has a repair receipt (from 1976) in the tool box for a shop in Gastonia. I received this machine from a sister in Greer, SC, and I am in Middle Tennessee. This little machine has made the rounds! The bathroom looks. I love that you are so pro-active with your home and getting things done. That bath has been a frustration for you for some time now. Hope you enjoyed the snow...all we got here was below freezing temps and the warm-up and rain starts tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The bathroom turned out fabulous. And congrats on the future new house. I so know what that endeavor is like. I'm chuckling about all the NC and surrounding area schools that are closed from the snow dusting. Schools here don't even blink at the snow less it climbs a number of inches on a ruler.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails