The Free Motion Quilting Project: Quilting Mishaps

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Quilting Mishaps

It's been an interesting week in the sewing room to say the least! I'm getting used to having another person in my sewing room and Dad is quickly learning all the many steps to piecing a quilt. Speaking of which, here's his first pieced top!

free motion quilting | Leah Day

Now for the mishap - just as Dad was squaring off the borders for this quilt, he also sliced off the tip of his index finger. I wish I'd caught a picture of the flap of skin sliced off because it was impressive!

Thankfully the cut wasn't deep, and definitely not as bad as cuts and burns Dad has had over the years as a machinist and blacksmith. It didn't bleed too badly and no blood got on the quilt top, but yes, cutting fabric with a rotary cutter can certainly slice up your finger pretty badly and quicker than you think!

Our other mishap this week was entirely my fault, though in 10 years sewing and quilting I've never made a mistake like this.

free motion quilting | Leah Day

My old iron failed after Dad starched and pressed over 10 yards of fabric for various quilts. I picked up a new iron (I usually go for the cheapest variety at Walmart), and was pressing multiple step outs for a quilt, moving from the cutting table to the ironing board to the sewing machine pretty fast, so I left the iron plugged in and hot the whole time.

Well, for the first time EVER, it slipped off the ironing board and landed flat on my cutting mat. And then proceeded to melt right through!

free motion quilting | Leah Day

I'm only smiling because Josh and Dad are making so much fun of me! If Josh was the dancing kind he would have done a jig to the tune of "I told you so! I told you so!"

Yes, he's been sleeping badly for years worried about what might one day happen thanks to my irons left plugged in and hot. Well, lesson learned. It only took melting through the corner of a $250 huge table sized cutting mat to get the message!

So all in all, it wasn't a bad week. We got a lot accomplished together, but definitely have a few things to learn about multiple people in a small sewing / cutting area, and all the many tools that come with the job.

Here's to next week! Let's hope I don't manage to melt through anything else!

Let's go quilt,



  1. Quilting s a very dangerous hobby - burns, cuts, anxieties just to name a few mishaps.

  2. Hope this is a one off week Leah. A good reminder to all of us to be safe and think about what we are doing. Hope your Dad's finger isn't too painful. Hugs......

  3. Oh no! Your poor dad and mat! The great thing about fingers is that they heal (I sliced my finger recently and had 6 stitches), mats don't. :)

  4. How great that you are quilting with your dad! His first quilt top is fabulous! Hope the finger is better.
    My tip for the iron left on...plug it in to a power strip along with a lamp. If the lamp is on, the iron is on. All you have to do is turn off the power strip and everything is off. This has saved me on several occasions!

  5. Thank you so much, Judy, for that tip! That's perfect. I will be sure Leah implements it ASAP!

  6. You had quite a week!! I do the same thing that Judy does above, with her iron. It's in a power strip with a lamp and that's always the last thing I see when I leave my sewing room.


Related Posts with Thumbnails