The Free Motion Quilting Project: Satin Stitching Snag

Monday, September 8, 2014

Satin Stitching Snag

Alright, I'm hitting against a major design snag in our new quilt along and I need your help!

Here's the deal: my over-complicating nature has flexed her wings and discovered that there are two ways to do machine applique satin stitch:

1 - Satin stitch the block - This requires stabilizer, but with a little practice you can produce some nice looking satin stitching over the edges of your applique. When quilted, you'll stitch on either side of the satin stitching, which will leave a gap like this on the back:

free motion quilting | Leah Day

2 - Satin stitch the quilt - This does not require stabilizer because once the quilt is basted with backing and batting, those extra layers stabilize the satin stitching enough. This feels a little more challenging because everything is squishy because of the batting.

The thing I'm obsessing about is the satin stitching also will obviously show on the back. I know, I know - the back is the BACK, but would this bug you?

free motion quilting | Leah Day

Of course, I've already stitched two of mine one way...and now reconsider my decision. Argh!

Let's go quilt,

Leah

7 comments:

  1. I think #2 would bother me and for those of us just learning the squishy quilt may be a problem .I prefer #1

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see a problem with stitching the block and quilting on both sides of the satin stitching. I don't see a gap, but a design line. I'm afraid satin stitching through everything might be more troublesome (and use more thread).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am only learning to do satin stitch. So far I am not at a stage where I like the look of the satin stitch on the back. So if it is done in the quilting stage I do not like my finished project. If the stitching really matched the backing I suppose you could get away with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is just a different design element for the back, and, you did do it on purpose, right? It is what you planned. :-). Your work is gorgeous, just continue on and complete it. It is another well thought out design element and each gives the back a separate and unique look. Sincerely, Paula K.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with curious. Your work is beautiful and high quality. Your satin stitch is tight and straight. the point is crisp. I actually prefer example #2. If the workmanship was a little less crisp, I wouldn't risk a quilt. Where you do such careful work, I think it adds a really interesting element on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must admit I like number 1 - I quite like the double straight lines around the leaf shape. I think the satin stitch over the backing looks a little heavy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It would bug me to see satin stitching on the back. I have not needed to use stabilizer when satin stitching applique because the thickness of the fusible web usually does the stabilizing for me. But I think learning how to use stabilizer is a valuable skill, one that I and your participants would love to learn!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails