The Free Motion Quilting Project: Design #439 - Nexus Maze

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Design #439 - Nexus Maze

Last year I really dogged out on sharing new designs because we were so focused on the Building Blocks Quilt. This year, I really want to hit my goal of 500 designs and continue providing loads of inspiration for new textures to play with on your quilts.

http://www.leahday.com/shop/product/building-blocks-download-quilt-pattern/
This particular design was inspired by an oldie goldie - Design #2 - Etch n' Sketch. I was wondering if Etch n' Sketch would work in a round, with the U-turn shapes forming a maze-like texture around a center circle. Turns out it works really well!


I stitched this design in a Slash Star Block from the Building Blocks Quilt to showcase how this design works on a larger scale. Nexus Maze can also be stitched on a super small scale as well. The difference is just adding more space between the lines of quilting.

I'm really intrigued by how it would look quilted from the center of a baby quilt. It would likely feel a bit challenging in terms of rotating the quilt and sliding it evenly through the machine, but I think the finished texture would definitely be worth it!

So what do you think of Nexus Maze? Where do you think it will work best in a quilt? Share your insight or any questions you have about this design in the comments below!

Let's go quilt,

Leah Day

2 comments:

  1. Love it! It is fun and mysterious at the same time!
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  2. This totally makes me think of a Labyrinth!
    And then I think of walking a labyrinth, and then I think of Heather Plett, and I wonder if you've ever heard of her? She's doing some great things with women, community, circles and spirals, and I think you might enjoy reading her stuff and about her...
    heatherplett(dot)com
    Thank you, Leah, for all you do! I've been reading your blog for a L-O-N-G time now, and I just love you! =-)
    -Wendy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails