The Free Motion Quilting Project: Flowing Leaves Table Runner

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Flowing Leaves Table Runner

Fall is a great time for leaf designs of all shapes and sizes, so I used that as my inspiration for the latest issue of Quiltmaker Magazine!

This table runner pattern is very easy with simple piecing and very quick fusible applique leaves. I decided to finish the applique edges with a blanket stitch after the table runner was basted so I could flow straight into echoing the leaf shapes with my walking foot.

This project ended up taking only a few hours to complete, and is such a beautiful addition to our table! Watch how I quilted the leaves and background in this video:

Find the Flowing Leaves Table Runner pattern in the Sept / Oct 2015 issue of Quiltmaker Magazine.

Let's go quilt,

Leah Day


  1. Lovely runner, it would look great with orange and red leaves too. Can I ask the reason for using aurifil, I thought you preferred isacord? I'm curious.

    1. Great question! I used Aurifil for the green thread simply because it was the right color for the job. Really it was just a matter of matching colors and I knew it would stitch just fine because I was using my walking foot.

      So yes, I do occasionally use Aurifil for quilting when using my walking foot, or when I have a particular color or look desired. It's good to remember that you can mix and match - the green thread is Aurifil and the off white is Isacord. They play just fine together!

  2. 'Love the quilt runner. They are so festive and fun to make :)


Related Posts with Thumbnails