The Free Motion Quilting Project: Dad's Cabin Fever Quilt - Part 1

Friday, July 15, 2016

Dad's Cabin Fever Quilt - Part 1

Last week I shared the piecing tutorial for our Cabin Fever block and included an image of what an entire quilt would look like created from just this one block. The next day Dad told me how much he loved that quilt design and wanted to make one for himself. Color me delighted!

I showed Dad the basics of using EQ7, and he played around with fabric colors and the design for a few hours until he was happy with it. He expanded it to 42 blocks so it would fit a queen sized bed and played around with borders as well until he came up with this beautiful quilt:

As you can see, Dad added a lot more colors to the block design and also added bright yellow cornerstones and sashing. Now I know where my love of bright colors comes from!

I'm super excited to see this quilt come together. Dad's already started prepping up fabric and piecing a few test blocks just to make sure he really likes the colors.

Dad's eyes nearly bugged out when we drew up the yardage list and it was 4 yards of yellow, 3 yards, of blue, another 3 yards of green. It really is surprising how much fabric a queen sized quilt requires. Thankfully we had plenty of fabric on hand and this massive patchwork quilt is already in progress!

So what do you think of Dad's design? Have you ever made a quilt with a family member? What was your favorite part? Please share your experience in the comments below!

Let's go quilt,

Leah Day


  1. Super cool colour combo Dad! That is going to look awesome when all finished. I haven't made a quilt with a family member, have certainly made plenty FOR family members (and still have many more to go). Have fun with this one Dad!

  2. This is gorgeous. You can't feel anything but cheerful looking at it. I can only imagine how much fun it would be to work on a quilt with my dad. What a great memory this will be for both of you. Enjoy!!!

  3. Great design and colors. And lucky you to work so closely with your father! Sending good thoughts.

  4. My 7 year old son and I are currently making his first Quilt, a disappearing 9 patch featuring Pokemon fabric. My 5 year old daughter is now impatiently waitibg for her turn. I'm loving teaching them and the time we are spending together!


Related Posts with Thumbnails